We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Hi all...

Thanks for your patience... it's been a long week. The memorial service yesterday was wonderful. It's kind of weird how something so painful can also be beautiful and special. I believe that the service painted a very true portrait of Ellie as she was, with all of her adorable quirky ways. We darkened the room and lit it with twinkle lights, and just celebrated all that made Ellie... Ellie. Larry Brown, who married us over 13 years ago, flew to Montana and did Ellie's service. His encouragement to us all was so comforting. Loretta even agreed to get up and speak about Ellie and she did such an amazing job providing the sweet, endearing, and often funny details of Ellie's life. We also had a slide show, which encapsulated Ellie's nine years. All in all, the day was just exactly what it should have been - a day to remember and honor Ellie, and a day to give thanks to God for the nine years that we enjoyed her.

At present, I am exhausted. I have spent the day sorting Ellie's things. I suppose that there are many ways to do such things, and I imagine that there is no wrong way... but I had a very strong need to do it now. I am so afraid of waiting until the job is unbearable. I also wanted to bring some things to Florida for Ellie's friends. I know that it's what Ellie would have wanted, and seeing her friends enjoy the things gives me such pleasure. It's hard to explain, but it's somehow very comforting.

Thank you all for your prayers for us - for continuing to understand how much we need them! We fly to Florida tomorrow, but the weather conditions across the country make it very unlikely that we will arrive on schedule. The Florida memorial service will be held in the Orlando area on Tuesday, January 15 - I will get more details to you later. We will be in Florida until January 24. I have been so pressed for time this week, that I've been unable to contact my friends and family in Florida, so I was wanting to use this forum to send out a kind of "mass message" if you will... We really want to see everyone, but we hope that you will bear with us as we take some time to relax and decompress a bit. We plan to take some time to settle in and then John and I will be taking a couple of days and nights to spend time alone together. During the upcoming days, we will not even be answering our phones, so please don't feel badly if we don't make contact until around January 5. Those of you who know how to contact us will be able to leave messages if there is a pressing need. Thank you so much for your understanding! We hope to emerge refreshed and ready to enjoy your company.

And to those of you who will be checking the blog regularly, please don't worry if you don't hear from us for the next week. No news is probably good news. We are doing well for the time being. The grief come in waves sometimes, but there have also been some happy moments. Thank you, as always, for your love and support.

12 Comments:

At 12:15 AM, Blogger Whatleys' World said...

Praise the Lord for a wonderful service. Great times for closure for friends and family! :) I hope that your flights will be uneventful, and will be praying that the memorial service in Florida will be just as a celebration of Ellie's 9 years with you and those she knew. It is a wonderfully caring thing to separate out and give Ellie's things to her friends! Those will be immensely special to them. I will also be praying for your time away with John. That it will be a time of renewal, refreshment, and just a quietness that will restore your soul. May the Lord grant you the rest you are looking for. Hugs to Ethan! :) Love from Indonesia!

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger LindaSue said...

Don't know if you will check your blog either -but I'll post here anyhow. Bless you all - sounds like a perfect celebration of your beautiful Ellie. About the going through her things and sharing them - I did that almost immediately when my husband died and it brought great satisfaction to see his friends' enjoyment. Will continue to pray for you all - for healing and peace and safe travels.

 
At 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God for HIS peace and presence during times that seem unbearable and to the world would be. I know the Lord is carrying you through each step of the way. We will continue to pray for you and your family. I'm glad that you all are taking some time for yourselves. God is so good and He will bring you through this journey called "life" until you are reunited with your sweet Ellie forever in heaven!

Love In Christ,
Nicki

 
At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The LORD is my strength and my shield; My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped.."

Praying for a safe trip and a time of renewal and rest.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Mrs said...

Prayers to all of you as your journey continues. Thanking God for your wisdom in planning time together; praying our Father protects it jealously.

Safe travels to Orlando!

JoAnna

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Continueing to pray for you all.
The Stones in Sanford, FL

 
At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad Ellie's Memorial service was so special for you! Thanks for updating & letting us know what's up with you. You continue to be in our pryaers. Hope your trip will bless & refresh your spirits! Keep looking to Jesus! Tabitha

 
At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brave brave Sarah and family. Have a safe trip. I will pray that Gods angels wrap their arms around you in the your days of rest. Hope to meet you at the service.
Sincerely in Him, Jennifer Johnson

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We continue to uphold you in our prayers! I am thankful that the ceremony was such a beautiful celebration of Ellie's life! I am praying for good travels and for some good time to reconnect as a couple! Also praying that you will find the time interacting with friends and family throughout January to be healing!

 
At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The twinkle lights at the memorial service seem so appropriate. I've never met Ellie, and I wasn't at the service, but now when I think of her, I imagine her surrounded by sparkles...lights or stars maybe. Thanks for sharing that detail for those who weren't there.

 
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we continue to lift you all up in prayer and that you continue to feel Gods comfort and peace on you. we will pray you have a safe return home and pray for the days ahead. love simons family

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm Mike and Kathy Skees neighbor, John use to take care of our lawn...when Kathy first told me about Ellie, my heart sank. I often asked Kathy about the status of Ellie and I spoke to her right before she left for Montana...as a parent I couldn't imagine what you've have all gone through and my deepest deepest condolences go to you, John and Ethan. I wish I could be at the service tomorrow but unfortunately I can't make it...maybe I'll see you if you visit Mike and Kathy. God Bless!
Kim Folland

 

Post a Comment

<< Home