We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Wednesday Evening Update . . .

Late this afternoon the results of the CT reveal that there is fluid, blood, and air in the pleural space above the right lung which is compromising the upper lobe of the right lung. Ellie cannot be extubated until this is resolved. It appears to be a complicated situation because of its location and the majority of the afternoon has been spent in discussion by the doctors. Just recently (6 PM) the doctors took Sarah back and showed her the CT and discussed their plan. They want to attempt to place another drain tube through her side to the top of this lung and leave the present drain as well. They will also try to bust this area up with medication again.

The nasoduodenal (n.d.) tube has been pulled. They could not get it to seat properly in the intestines. Trials of feeding pediasure failed and Ellie ended up vomitting several times today as the pediasure settled in her stomach instead of going into the intestine as they had hoped. Ellie is running higher fevers today and they still report all cultures coming back negative. Seems we don’t really know the source of the fevers yet.

The final, major piece of information to report about is the need to return Ellie to a very sedated state until they are ready to move toward the extubation process again. The doctors are discussing the drugs and attempting to make the best decisions in this regard given Ellie’s sensitivities and paradoxical reactions to medications.

Sarah is basically staying in the ICU around the clock. The plan is for her to get breaks as often as she can. She is back-up for John at night and Belinda in the day. She is our "pro" napper morning or night. We have supplied her with some books and her companion on "watch" does primary care for Ellie and she is back-up. It is emotionally very stressful to be alone when Ellie "goes off" and for now we are working together this way for support. It is also better for Ellie, she will often sit-up or push-up and look to see her mommie on the coach in the room. Sarah also wants to be there to talk with doctors and have input in the daily decisions being made about Ellie. Thank you for your continued prayers.

[Loretta]

13 Comments:

At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless you, Loretta! Thank you so much for keeping us in the loop!

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Sarah! Please let us know if there is anything at all that we can do for you!...anytime!

Lots of Love!!
Carla

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger c.g. said...

"The everlasting God, the LORD,
The Creator of the ends of the earth,
Neither faints nor is weary.

He gives power to the weak,
And to those who have no might He increases strength."

Praying for the Lord to supply much needed strength to Sarah, John, Belinda and Loretta. Especially for Sarah's naps to refresh her as she watches over Ellie.

Loretta - thank you for updating. It is very much appreciated.

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

continuously interceding....

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Bree at Clarity Defined said...

As always, thank you for continually updating us! Know that you are constantly in my prayers... Ellie and every member of the force!

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Loretta, I am one of Sarah's friends from childhood. It really warms my heart to see all you are doing for her. This morning I was thinking about you and how you are always in the loop and are such a part of Ellie's care even as far away as you are, and I began to wonder if you ever get real sleep. I have a new burden to pray for all of you who are a part of Ellie's support team. God bless you for all you are doing for our precious Sarah.

 
At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crying out to God on behalf of each of you tonight!

Psalm 139

O LORD, you have searched me
and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.

You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.

Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O LORD.

You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.

Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?

If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, [a] you are there.

If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,

even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.

If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,"

even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

How precious to [b] me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!

Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake,
I am still with you.

 
At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first impulse upon visiting your site is to run to wherever you are and help in any way possible -- cook, clean, sit, drive, write -- whatever. Please know that you are loved and supported in prayer, and that at a single word from you, you would have legions of people ready to help in any way possible. In the meantime your entire family is being upheld in prayer all over the world.

Oregon Wildland Firefighter

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Loretta, for always keeping everyone updated! Please tell Sarah & John that Ellie continues to be on our minds and in our prayers daily, as are all of you. The Lord has provided an amazing network of support for precious Ellie, and for the that I praise Him! May you all continue His work, being strengthened and guided by Him.....God Bless, The Pflug's

 
At 4:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates. Ellie & family continue to be on our minds and in our prayers.

 
At 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we are continuing to pray each and everyday. i wish there was more that we can do. you are all such a testimony of faith. "Be still and know that I am God".

love the simons family

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Pastor James said...

Hey! We're praying for you guys and for Ellie's strength and healing.

James & Penny Camacho

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Leni said...

Praying, praying, praying. Thank you so much for updating.

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah I wanted to share with you and the team what God has been using to encourage me, I hope that it will encourage you too.

Trials prepare the way for God in His love to do greater things in our lives. God uses desperate situations to bring new release and enlargement to our lives. The more desperate and impossible our situation, the more glory is can bring to God. A great example is Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego. They were thrown into the blazing furnace, a time of hopelessness, a testing of faith, but amazing results.

Psalms 66:10-12
For Thou hast tried us, O God:
Thou hast refined is as silver is refined.
Thou didst lay an oppressive burden upon our lions.
Thou didst make men ride over our heads;
We went through fire and through water;
Yet Thou didst bring us out into a place of abundance.


Dear Heavenly Father You are all powerful, and all-knowing, You love us perfectly. We hold up Ellie, John, Sarah, Loretta, Belinda, and the rest of Ellie’s team. Let them rely on Your strength, Your provision, Your timing. Calm Ellie, give her Your peace, let her rest. I pray for wisdom for her doctors and medical staff including Loretta, John, Sarah, and Belinda. Make Your love so real to them, make it something that they can grab onto and hold, something to sustain them. We exalt You Lord, You are our hope. You are our loving, sovereign, caring God who holds our future in His hands. Amen.

Love you, Tonya

 

Post a Comment

<< Home