We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

And the Hits Just Keep on Comin'...

Today we found out that Ellie has the chickenpox. We now reside in the isolation room at the hospital. This is the coveted big room with a huge bathroom - the one all of the other parents gaze into and wonder "how can we get THAT room?" Well guess what boys and girls? I'll tell you how you can get into this room, and it's not worth it! It looks like both of the antibiotics Ellie was on will be stopped and a differnt one has started, now that we know exactly what she has. It can be very dangerous for someone with a compromised immune system to get the chickenpox, so we are just praying that she will get through this well. So far, miraculously, she isn't covered from head to toe - I think the current pox count is about .

Today I am mostly just tired. Some days I just want to pretend that life is normal again and that when my eyes open in the morning I can think about something other than what it will take to keep Ellie alive. The days go by so quickly, and most days I don't even open my Bible, but for now God keeps bringing songs to my mind. Just the other day Ellie asked me to sing to her, and after the standard 4 or 5 songs that I usually sing, all of the words to a song that I learned when I was young came flooding back to me and I can't get them out of my head.

He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater.
He sendeth more strength when the labors increase.
To added afflictions, He addeth his mercy.
To multiplied sorrows, His multiplied peace.

When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources,
Our Father's full giving has only begun.

His love has no limit.
His grace has no measure.
His power has no boundaries known unto men.
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus,
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.

So for today, it's ok to be just plain tired because I don't have to do it all myself. That's nice to know.

The update on my friend Vickie (Myers, for those of you who know her) is that she still hasn't had the baby! I was able to spend most of yesterday at the hospital, but had to go back to our hospital at night. Still, I had an amazing time catching up with friends - it was like a party in Vickie's room: Tania Rich (Tamra popped in), Julie (Barger) Armatti, Karen (Byron) Whatley, Tonya (Lundeen) Hagood, and Wanda Scoble (Vickie's mom) were all present at various times in the day. (Of course, Vickie's husband Luke was there - poor man - there was a LOT of estregen in that room!) My father-in-law stopped by with Ethan, so I was able to see him for the first time in several days. Vickie's midwife, Bobbie, delivered both of my kids, so it was wonderful to see her again. The whole experience was just what I needed yesterday - I was able to have a complete meltdown, and there's no better place to do that than among friends. Please keep praying for Vickie tonight and tomorrow. Thanks so much!

As always, we value your prayers and everyday we feel your love.
Love, Sarah (for all)

2 Comments:

At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah,
Thank you for your faithfulness in keeping us informed on Ellie and the family. We are praying for you and know the Lord will give you the strength you need for these days. Also loved hearing about Vickie and the crew you saw. I knew quite a few of them. Tell them Hi and would love to stay in touch if they want. My e-mail is meloliver@mindspring.com Bye for now. Love, Melody Oliver Deaton

 
At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah,
Hi! You don't know me. I have been receiving updates through Macon and Katy Hare. I grew up in Colombia with them. First of all, I AM SO SORRY. I cry for you now as I can only imagine the pain you and your family have been feeling for Ellie and for the pain and confusion Ellie has felt. Tonight before my 5-year old daughter went to bed, she and my parents and I had a time of prayer for Ellie and you as a family.
I want to let you know that although it has not been my little girl that has been sick, life has brought unimaginable turns in it for our family the last few years. This year particularly, my life as I knew it just came crashing in as well. You know, some pain just cannot be put into words. But I find that neither can the incredible, unexplainable presence of God and His grace that He literally pours out on us. He loves us so much, doesn't he? I just HAD to communicate with you that I know EXACTLY what you are referring to when you speak of it being okay that all you can do is rest. I think that He is thrilled when we choose to let HIM comfort us and just rest. We might be angry, upset, confused, tired and in a lot of pain, but at the end of the day, it is "all going to be alright" because of HIM. I have found in my most difficult days that I cannot even think about tomorrow, but hear my Father telling me that it's okay because there is a whole new bunch of grace for tomorrow. The most comforting truths to me are that God never changes, that God is ALWAYS good and that He always has our best in mind. Believe me, that if it was up to me to figure out if I thought God was being good, or had my best in mind, I would have contrary by now. I just love it that we can KNOW it because He is who He says He is and not because we can understand it. What would we do without these truths to hang our hat on at the end of the day? For those that surround you in the hospital, they will NOT miss it. The fact that you can experience peace in the midst of unimaginable circumstances us is incredible! It is all about HIM.
One last thing, I just have to write here. You are offering God a sacrifice of praise. I have heard that phrase all of my life, but had NEVER thought about what it meant. Finally, I got it as I was singing in my heart along with the radio, the song "I Will Praise You in Storm" by Casting Crowns. I was trying to drive, so couldn't be sobbing in Atlanta traffic at 80MPH so I coudn't sing the words out loud or I would. It dawned on me what this sacrifice of praise meant, at that moment. To praise God is truly a sacrifice we are offering up to Him when we are in so much pain and in the midst of a frightening storm, yet choose to praise Him. Thank you for praising God in the midst of your storm! I pray for you that you will keep resting and going to our loving God with it ALL.
Okay, Sarah.... I rarely feel the urge to connect with someone I've never met, but reading what you've written, I felt like I really could.
God is loving your sacrifice of praise!!!!
With love,
Kristina McDougall
kristinamcd@comcast.net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home