We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Sarah's Update from the Hospital

So far this hospital trip has gone well. While we wait for the final results of the blood culture, Ellie is on antibiotics that cover many of the possiblities. So far the blood culture is negative, but they also did a culture on an infected blister that Ellie has, and that culture has shown a bacteria that needs to be treated with antibiotics. Her fever is gone, so she can go into the playroom today.

Ellie's feeling very well today and has eaten a great breakfast of eggs. Food is still something of a struggle, but when we get eggs in her fist thing, the whole day goes better. We have found that there is a bit of a discrepency about her weight. We have finally figured out how to get an accurate weight, and the bad news is that she never weighed 54 pounds like we had hoped, but the good news is that she has not lost 9 pounds since her last chemo - she has only lost 2 pounds! (I thought I was going crazy that Ellie could have lost 9 pounds and I couldn't see the change in her - 9 pounds when you only weigh 46 lbs. is a big deal.) Two pounds should be easy to make up or exceed before the next chemo. (My personal hope is for her to break the 50 lb. mark.) Now that we have figured out the scales, we can be much more confident in our assessment.

Since finding out about Ellie's cancer, we have been finding so much comfort from Twila Paris' album "A Heart That Knows You". Almost each and every song gives us such strength and comfort from God. One that has been a favorite of mine for years is "The Warrior is a Child" and as soon as Ellie heard it, she felt like it was about her. Some of the words of the chorus are: "People say that I'm amazing, strong beyond my years, but they don't know inside of me, I'm hiding all the tears. They don't know that I go running home when I fall down. They don't know who picks me up when no one is around. I drop my sword and look up for a smile, cuz deep inside this armour, the warrior is a child." Last night at bedtime, we had the CD playing and as that song ended she said "Mommy, I'm getting to be a big girl because I shed a tear during that song." I asked her if it was because she was happy, and she said that it was. (We have had the conversation before that sometimes grownups can cry because they're happy and she just didn't get it.) Another of her favorites is "Sweet Victory" and she's started singing the words to the chorus "Sweet victory, over the enenmy, gentle power, all I ever need is SWEET VICTORY!" John and I just sat and marveled as we watched our daughter connect with the same beautiful music and words that God has used to encourage our own hearts. Ellie drifted off to sleep listening to the music. While Ellie has had to endure some very difficult things over this past couple of months, I have seen her begin to develop such a depth and peace and even joy - the kind that is often only born out of deep struggle.

Well, I started this update at the begining of the day, but it has taken me all day to finish it. As the day is ending, I am happy to report that Ellie played her heart out in the playroom. She has been trying very hard all day to eat her food. We are about the get into her best time of day for eating, so this will be my focus until her bed time.

While you are praying for Ellie tonight or tomorrow (whenever you read this) please also pray for my friend Vickie who will be having a baby girl tomorrow. John and his aunt Kathy will be at the hospital with Ellie so that I can be with Vickie. Please pray that everything goes well. This is Vickie's fourth baby and a couple of her other deliveries were very difficult. When she is induced, labor can go on for days. Please pray that it is speedy and as easy as possibly and that mom and baby come through it beautifully. Tomorrow I should have more of an update than usual.

As always, thank you so much for your prayers and love - we love you all.

2 Comments:

At 9:04 PM, Blogger Tricia said...

Hugs and gern free kisses to Ellie. I'm so happy her fever is gone.

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Gary Hamm's cousin, Jill (Reedy) Heins from Minnesota and I just want you to know that I am holding all of you in prayer as I daily check this blog. In a round-about way we are family though we have never met and my heart is with you all. Thank you for faithfully writing here so we know specifically what to pray for. Ellie is now on two different prayer chains that I am on so she is being prayed for by many here in Minnesota.
May you feel God's arms of comfort wrapped comfortingly around you!
Love, Jill

 

Post a Comment

<< Home