We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Another Day

Today was rather quiet and uneventful. While new pox seem to appear by the minute, Ellie's spirits and energy have been great. Since she can't leave the room, Ellie has made a fort out of the shower, and has taped pictures to the bathroom walls. She asked me tonight if someday she could go to the rooms of other kids who have chicken pox and tell them that it is not as bad as they are afraid it will be. She thinks that it would be a great job to work as a Child Life person at a hospital. (That statement alone broke my heart on so many levels.)

My mom came for a few hours today, so I went to a room down the hall and spent some time on the computer. It was so nice to just be alone! While I do enjoy social interaction, I've found that I MUST have a certain amount of time inside my own head to remain sane. That is a tough enough order to fill on days where it's just my famiy to take care of at home, but when you add in hospital staff, other parents, and phone calls...well, you get the idea. Sometimes when I'm at home I just sit on the couch for the entire day and stare numbly into the TV (when I don't have to get up and get something for the kids). I stopped feeling guilty about that when I realized that when I "veg" in front of the TV, half of my brain is freed up for problem solving. Years ago I realized that if I didn't figure out what I needed to stay sane, I would not be able to be a very good wife or mother. I used to say that it was like what the flight attendents tell you when you get on the plane "put your oxgyen mask on before you help the child next to you." Then one day I read it in a book (that I owned and had probably already read before) and was crushed that I must have stolen that from the author and I must not be nearly as brilliant as I had hoped. Oh well, it's still true even if I didn't come up with it on my own. This rambling train of thought leads me to my one goal for today: not to get out of my pijamas all day! As I sit here on my bed in the hospital, I can claim victory. I'm in the same sweat pants and tank top I woke up in. I love meeting a good goal from time to time. As if my lamp and throw pillows don't make enough of a statement that I can feel at home anywhere, I think the fuzzy slippers may have been a dead giveaway. Tomorrow I just might wear a dress and some jewelry - I haven't decided yet.

From what I hear, Vickie's labor is truly underway, and I expect to hear good news any time now. Maybe it will be another hour. (Her other three kids were born on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, so if this one holds out one more hour, she'll have a Friday baby.)

5 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops - I bumped the "publish" button before I was finished. Just wanted to thank you all for reading and praying, and I've been enjoying the comments - I check all day long. Love to all!

 
At 4:56 AM, Blogger Tricia said...

I'm glad you got some alone time to recharge. Ellie continues to melt my heart with her sweetness and strenghth. Ray and jess are her for the weekend....the last time before the baby coms!

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger mamajosiah said...

Hi, I've heard about Ellie from Macon and Katy Hare (I'm an MK from Colombia) and I just wanted to tell you that you are all in my prayers. I also wanted to pass on this website to you, in case you aren't familiar with it. www.acpcg.com
The American Child Photographers Charity Guild
May the God of Grace and Peace hold you today!
Terrie Wade (Kessler)

 
At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise You in This Storm
words by Mark Hall/music by Mark Hall and Bernie Herms

I was sure by now, God You would have reached down
and wiped our tears away,
stepped in and saved the day.
But once again, I say amen
and it's still raining
as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain,
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away.

Chorus:
And I'll praise you in this storm
and I will lift my hands
for You are who You are
no matter where I am
and every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
and though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry to You
and raised me up again
my strength is almost gone how can I carry on
if I can't find You
and as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away

Chorus

I lift my eyes unto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth
I lift my eyes unto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth

Chorus

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering if Ellie has regained sight in her eye? I am following your blog daily! I looked up the words to the song "Praise you in the storm", but forgot to sign my name. We are praying for you...
In Christ, Leslie (Hare) Corenchuc

 

Post a Comment

<< Home