We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

More Adventures in Paradise...

It's official. I have now graduated from princess to she-woman, wrangler of burros. There I was, standing at the fence as Loretta and Ellie went in to feed some hay to Dream, the horse and Jenny, the burro. Ellie was trying to wield the wheel barrow without letting Jenny out, so I helped her in and jumped back into the gap that stood between that burro and the wonderful and tempting great beyond. (Now to get the full mental picture here, you must know that I was dressed for an outing - taking Belinda to the airport - and was wearing a flowy long skirt and sparkly flip flops.) As I stood in said gap and reached for the gate, Jenny just kept on comin' out. Loretta and Ellie were yelling at Jenny and when Reni saw the commotion, she took off running towards me. I thought blocking the gate would be enough, but that burro was not in the least bit intimidated by me. So I grabbed her around the neck and dug my feet into the ground. She stopped and there we were - she was leaning hard to get out and I was leaning hard in the opposite direction. As the thought flashed through my mind that I must be crazy to think that I could out-shove a donkey, Jenny's hind-quarters rotated around. I still had both arms around her neck but felt at even more of a disadvantage because now I had to pull. I remember looking up and making eye contact with Loretta and thinking "what on earth am I supposed to do here - pull this crazy animal by brute force into her pen?" I must have gotten my answer from her face somehow because I pulled and heaved and that burrow went in the gate! Loretta gave a mighty shout and said "you finally cow-girled up!" And then everyone howled with laughter. I slapped the dust off my hands on my pretty green skirt, and as I looked down at my sparkly flip flops... a bee stung me on the butt! I'm telling you - these bees have it in for me. It's one thing if I had sat on it - even I couldn't blame the bee then - or leaned against it, or had been flapping around the yard like a chicken. But I wasn't. I was calmly standing still, minding my own business. What is that about? Reni and Lauren each tried to shake my skirt just in case it stung from within my clothes and not from without (is this sounding familiar yet?) while I hopped around saying "owww, owww, owww..." After being doctored up (I'll spare you the embarassing details) we took off for the airport. I think I may have gone down a bit from the lofty height I had gained on the toughness scale when, for the rest of the evening, I whined and whimpered every time I sat down or slid off the truck seat. And just for good measure, I throw out "my butt hurts" to the room at large... just to make sure that no one forgets... What can I say? I'm a work in progress.

15 Comments:

At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep Folks! Ever werd's true! She cow-girled up real good! Grabbed aholt of that ther burro and bore down on her good!! Whooeee! What a woman!

Reni @ Still Waters Ranch
Bigfork, Montana

 
At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, I think that you had better "bee" careful out there in the wild West! Thanks so much for starting out my day with a good laugh (laughing with you!).
God bless,
Paula

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Mrs said...

Go girl! Be thankful it was YOU who was stung on the butt and not the burro. You wouldn't have caught her, then!

Glad you are drinking in the wonders of Montana! Would love to see pictures, but no pressure (honestly!).

 
At 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll look forward to seeing a photo of you in your new cowgirl boots, that Loretta bought you so you can dig your heels in better!

:-) Alice Corbett - NTM HQ

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, when you get frustrated with the bees and burros, just remember the roaches and mosqitos you left behind! Hee hee! Also, thanks for NOT sharing about the medical care for your bee sting!!!!!

Laughing at..... uh, with you,
Kim

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is hilarious!!!! Always following along and praying! Excited to see what's in store for you in the months ahead! Les

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Tricia said...

ROFLMBO! Do you know how much money I would have paid to see that show?!

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh goodness, i love you, sarah! great storytelling today - wish i could be there with ya'll! and i feel you about the bee-sting; i would be reminding everyone, too, for good measure :))
-kristen

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, Yes I do believe Montana will be an adventure. I really think you should have some one follow you with a video camera I am thinking you could win America's Funniest Videos at some point while you are there.

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

he he he....from one cowgirl to another... YOU GO GIRL! Sheri :)

 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for giving me a good laugh. the same thing would be happening to me as i am a city girl. so glad you are having such a wonderful time. laughter is the best medicine for all. love and prayers.simons family

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oSarah, you are a hoot! I agree w/ the America's Funniest Video concept. Get that tape rolling, you may be a cash cow-girl...burro...bee, whatever, the pay's the same! Thanks for the belly laughs and keep the bees out of your bonnet.
Much Love, The Garcias in Paradise

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger Cindy said...

I love you guys so much!
You are always making me cry.. either real tears or laughing and I can never wait to come back for more!.
You are such an inspiration I wish you'd sit gown and start writing that book.... but please mind what you're sitting on!

 
At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, you should write a book!!!

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ellie We sure miss you hear at the RMD house. Carson just finished his first round of 3F8 treatment and we get to go home tomorrow. He can't wait to go home and play with his sisters. Have fun with the animals and your brother.
Sarah I look forward to hearing about your new protocal. Hope all is well with you guys. Hope the move wasn't too stressful!!
Tiffany and Carson

 

Post a Comment

<< Home