We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Bald is Beautiful!

Sorry for the lapse in posting. We've been working on our house almost non-stop for days. Our bed is finally out of the living room - SO glad about that! Now I am going through the piles of stuff in the laundry room. That room will be the next project...since Ellie got our room, and our new bedroom was built, our clothes have been in Ethan's room in rolling clothing racks. Our new room doesn't have a closet, so we plan to make the laundry room into one family closet - complete with washer and dryer. I'm thrilled about this idea...it should make laundry even easier!

As for more important news...Ellie has been gradually working up the nerve to let go of the last clinging strands of hair. It was a tough decision for her, but once her mind was made up, she wouldn't rest until I cut it all off. I absolutely LOVE it! She looks so adorable. Ellie has had moments of bubbling joy interspersed with tears of grief when she looks at the different face in the mirror. It is all part of the process...somehow this makes it so much more REAL. The morning after I cut it, I used a beard trimmer to clean up my quick scissor cutting job. Ethan watched the whole thing in fascination, and kept saying "I want to do that too!" I ignored him because he's four...and two minutes later he was likely to change his mind. (Ethan didn't know yet that John was planning to go to the barber shop to shave his head - John told Ellie that he would when she first learned of her cancer.) Finally Ethan got my attention. He said "Mom! Do you know why I want to do that too? Because I love Ellie!" When I told him that his daddy was planning to go bald too and asked if he really did want to do it, he said "yes!" and never looked back.

That afternoon we all trooped into the barbershop - camera in hand. (Ellie in a mask and hat.) Ellie kept her hat on until John and Ethan were finished. She shyly took her hat off, then basking in the glory of having her own "tribe" who looked just like her, she walked out into the sunshine for all to see. In the days since, I've seen her grow more confidant with her new look and now she doesn't seem to feel different at all. And in case you're wondering...I had about five minutes of serious consideration on whether to shave mine too...but I chickened out. I had never planned on doing it, but seeing the rest of my family all together supporting Ellie gave me pause...and then I snapped out of it. We have already established on this blog how my hair adds to my sanity, and I just can't afford to loose my sanity right now!

John in phase 1 of the process...this picture is on at Ellie's request!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The three muskateers:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Two peas in a pod:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My sweeties:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Fun in the swing:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Daddy and his little ones:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

12 Comments:

At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, wise conclusion on skipping out of the haircut. The joy of being a part of the gang would have lasted about 2 minutes. Then you would not have been a happy woman!!! : ) The pictures are great! We send our love! Kim

 
At 4:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted those pictures, Sarah! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

 
At 5:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So precious, what a beautiful family you have.
Love the photos, thanks so much for sharing with us.
Love you,
Judy and family

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Mrs said...

I especially love the last one, where John has a grip on Ethan's head. Bowling, anyone? ;-) Ellie actually looks like a fashion model. Not everyone has such a prettily shaped head and can get away without having hair!

I can't tell you how long I've argued for the very laundry room you've described! It makes perfect sense to me to have a large closet with washer and dryer. It's not as if we don't come hunting for our laundry anyway, right? Just go into the "closet" and get dressed!

I hope you remember to put lots of storage for linens in there, too. And an ironing board that folds away into a cabinet. Perfect! (Can you tell I've thought about this a LONG time?) LOL

 
At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the look. Just purely Beautiful Faces!

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Whatleys' World said...

Love the pictures!!!! :) You made the right decision on the hair, however, it was neat that you atleast allowed yourself to entertain the thought of shaving yours off too. We girls really need our hair!!! :) Way to go John & Ethan! :)
Love ya!! (and a big hug!) Karen

 
At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so special and adorable!

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was holding my breath as I scrolled down through the pics...wondering if you would be in the next square...haha...What a sweet, sweet support group...les

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger HopiQ said...

SO REAL it hurts...real good. Does that make ANY sense?

Thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures!!!

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Think of all the BIG actresses that have shaved their heads for movies; Demi, Sigourney Weaver, Cate Blanchett, Natalie Portman, . . . the list goes on and on. Now we can add Miss Ellie Skees to the list!

Punk her out with temporary tatoos!
Have fun with it!

Lots of Love!

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Tricia said...

I'm glad you kept your hair :) Its funny, Ethans hair is so blonde he doesn't look that different without it. I'm glad Ellie finally made the big jump, she does have a beautiflully shaped head.

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellie looks so much better than I ever did without hair. You do have a perfectly shaped head and look absolutely beautiful!! Tell her the great thing is that you don't have to wash it or dry it. Just keep a hat handy to keep your head warm. When I lost my hair, my husband shaved his too. It is GREAT that the family has all joined her in her journey.

Dave, Dana, David and Gracie McBroom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home