We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

A private room... at long last!

Last night we arrived in the P.O.U. (Pediatric Observation Unit) at Sloan Kettering. The silence in our room was almost deafening! We had a wonderful night's sleep - Ellie included. We have a large private room and only one machine that beeps occasionally. It's like being on vacation! Unfortunately the vacation will be short lived. We will be in the main pediatric wing of the hospital possibly as soon as today. There are a few much coveted private rooms there, so we shall see if we are one of the fortunate few when the time comes.

Today will be a busy day - and has been already. Ellie has sat up in a chair, and done some breathing excercizes, and now has even taken her first walk in about 20 days!! Right now she's exhausted from all of the activity, and is sleeping peacefully. We are hoping that her fever will stay down - she's been fighting one for so long... Tomorrow it's possible that one of her chest tubes will be removed.

And now, for some photos of the past 24 hours! (The tape on Ellie's face is holding the tube that goes from her stomach to her nose. They are hoping to remove it today if she can keep clear liquids down.)

Ellie was able to pet a beautiful golden retriever named Mila yesterday while we were still in the PICU.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Loaded up and ready to leave the PICU - thank you to all of the wonderful nurses and doctors who cared for Ellie these past 2-1/2 weeks!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

As we rolled away, I asked Ellie if Aunt B could ride in the back of the ambulance with her since I get car sick and this is the face she gave me... needless to say, I rode in back!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Tucked into the ambulance for our 1 minute ride across the street.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sitting up in a chair for the first time this morning in the P.O.U. She and John were blowing bubbles to do breathing excercizes and she was cracking up!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

She's on her feet!! (A might unsteadily to be sure, but up none the less.)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanks so much for all of your prayers and love these past weeks. It has made all of the difference to us. Without your support I think that I might still be tucked in a corner somewhere curled up in the fetal position... Ellie still has a ways to go towards recovery, but for now we are breathing a small sigh of relief to have come this far. I am trying to live in the moment and not look too far ahead towards the possible setbacks, work of recovery for Ellie, and treatments to come. The grace of God is sufficient for this day, and this day in particular is a wonderful one! (Oh yes, and I now have my cell phone and computer back... can't you see my happy dance from there? My technological blackout has ended!)

34 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful Report!! We continue to lift you all in prayer. Great to see Ellie smiling & making faces at her Mom.
Praise the Lord for His gracious kindness to all of us.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Tricia said...

Ellie smiling. What a beautiful thing to see.

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're praising God for Ellie's improvement and for God's grace and strength that carried you through the last few weeks.

Beth Anne

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Bree at Clarity Defined said...

How wonderful it is to see you up and smiling Ellie!!! Praying for continued recovery... and a private room :)

 
At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How WONDERFUL to see Ellie's smile! And to see her on her feet! I am just here praising God with you guys. We will keep on praying. God is so gracious and good. Praise Him!

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Ellie smile has made my day! Perhaps even my week! Perhaps it's the tape on her upper lip that makes her look a little like Uncle Mike (the mustache effect:)
Keep up the good work you guys, we're behind you all the way. Much Love, blessings and smiles right back at you, Aunt Sharon in Paradise, CA

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah,
I would very much like to see that happy dance. :) Love ya, Vickie

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to see your smile Ellie! I love you and I pray for you many times a day.
Love, Dar

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

praise God for the progress she is making. she is a fighter. the pictures touched my heart so much. she is beautiful!! we are so proud of her and so thankful to God that he has been with her and you all this whole time and will continue to be right by your side. we will continue to pray for each and everyone of you. love the simons family

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger c.g. said...

How wonderful to check in and see those beautiful pictures - even the making the 'sad face so mom will ride me' one!

Tears of joy and thanksgiving are flowing!

The bubble blowing picture is priceless - as it is to see the wonderful smile on Ellie's face.

Thank you, Sarah, for sharing your journey - and your beautiful daughter with us- it is a privilege to pray for Ellie - what courage!

We will continue to pray for your road ahead as our hearts are rejoicing with you on this "living in the moment- wonderful" day!

Looking at Ellie's smile reminded me of the Butterfly Song:

THE BUTTERFLY SONG
(If I Were a Butterfly)
by Brian M. Howard

If I were a butterfly
I'd thank you Lord for giving me wings
If I were a robin in a tree
I'd thank you Lord that I could sing
If I were a fish in the sea
I'd wiggle my tail and I'd giggle with glee
But I just thank you Father for making me, me

CHORUS
For you gave me a heart and you gave me a smile
You gave me Jesus and you made me your child
And I just thank you Father for making me, me.

Thanking the Lord for Ellie's heart and smile and her very special family.

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
We praise God with you that Ellie is improving and was able to walk a little today. We will pray that she gains a little more strength each day and is able to rest well in a private room. :) We love you. The Kurz gang

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellie's beautiful smile is back.

Amen.

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellie your beautiful smile brings tears of joy to our hearts. We praise God for your smile today.

 
At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a beautiful dog, beautiful purple plaid pants and a BEAUTIFUL smile :) thanks, sarah! i love you all so much.
=kristen

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger ~T said...

That is the most beautiful smile I've ever seen!

Wow~ praying still, but praising God for this hurdle past!!!

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, thank you for sharing your lives with us!!! I am so glad you've each gotten some rest. May God give you the grace for tonight and tomorrow, whatever they hold. It is absolutely amazing to see this progress!!! Ellie smiling, standing up, laughing,... Thank you, Lord!
Good night,
Kristina

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Valarie said...

So glad to see Ellie smiling!

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger GREG PFLUG said...

Nice to see everyone smiling. Ellie has become an inspiration to the Pflug family.

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos! Thank you for posting them. Thanking God that little Ellie is feeling better and getting out of bed to take a few steps! We are continuing to pray for your precious family, Sheri

 
At 12:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praising the Lord for Ellie's improvement!! These pictures are SO great to see! It's awesome to see her up and SMILING! Yippee!

 
At 5:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! I am so glad you are feeling better. (Earl/8)
Hi Ellie, I love you.(Rebekah/turning 7 today!)
We are happy to see Ellie brathing on her own. Also is great to see her up and about and communicating again. God is GOOD!

 
At 5:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, It is so wonderful to see Ellie smiling! Love, Beth

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

So glad to hear such a great report! And to see Ellie smiling! We continue praying for a good week for all of you there as you minister to Ellie. Our folks at Clear Lake Baptist Church in Lakeport, CA are praying. Dee Wilcox

 
At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its such a sweet thing to see your beautiful daughter smiling! Our God is so good. We will continue to lift your family in prayer. Please give Ellie a hug from the Stark Family in Blairstown NJ.

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-)))))))))))))))))))))))))

Yeaaa God!!!!
Yeaaa Ellie!!!

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is good...All the time!!!
All the time...God is good!!!

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Ps 63:7 Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.
Praise the Lord! It was so wonderful to log on the last few days and see the wonderful news. You are still in our prayers though. Love you lots!

 
At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the beauty of Him never leaving us comfortless. Our deepest thanks for walking this gloriously painful journey so transparently. Tell Ellie the Nixey Chicks AND Dave love her bushels!

 
At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go ellie Go! God is so good! from coma to walking...!
-Erin Ward

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger christopher said...

Ellie is looking great!

 
At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to see Ellie smile!
The Kime Family.

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Praises are just filling my heart right now - praise God for His mercy and His love for us, in protecting His little children.

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Mollie said...

Such a precious smile. Praising God each time I see it! mollie

 
At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ellie,

You probably don't remember me, but we met a long time ago.

Every time I'm at my grandparent's house I go on the internet and read about how you are doing. I'm sorry about the cancer and I'm praying for you.

I know that someday it will all be gone and you will be OK. Maybe sometime in the future we can meet again.

Love,

Heather Pederson

P.S. Your parents know my grandparents, Don & Lynda Pederson.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home