We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Monday, February 19, 2007

Here's To Dad's

This is my second update today...a rarety to be sure! :-)

This time I just wanted to comment on something I observed in the halls today. I was going to heat up my cold coffee in the kitchen, and by the time I got back to the room I was so struck by what I had witnessed in the halls... Everywhere I looked there were DAD'S. There was the man in sweatpants and footie socks pacing back and forth with a baby in a pink blanket. Then there was the man sprawled on the floor with his son in front of the video bookshelf. Coming back towards the room I peeked into a room and saw a man lying in the hospital bed with his little boy. And our neighbor, Carson's dad just arrived for his night shift and was watching over his nauseous little guy. Earlier I saw Talia's dad walking with his newborn daughter in the front carrier, toddler son in tow. I know that the steriotype is that of the caring mama soothing her little one in the hospital, but today just seemed to be all about the dads. It just made me smile, and once again I thought of Ellie's sweet daddy who's coming to be with us tonight and how nothing lights up her world like seeing him! So... to dads everywhere... thank you for being there.

And even as I write this, I know that there are some children (and adults) out there who don't know this kind of love from a father... or have lost their fathers. To you, I want you to give you the words of one of the songs from Twila Paris' beautiful lullaby CD "Bedtime Prayers":

The One who hears the children has known you from the start
He placed you in a family so that you can feel His heart
A mother and a father to keep you safe and warm
But he was with you long before the day that you were born

And if you don't have a daddy
He will be your father too
And He will always keep you in His sight

When it gets too dark to stay ahead
And you can't find your way, it will be alright
He will be your guiding light

He loves you more than I can say
And He is always taking care of you
He loves you more than I can say
And more than I can say, He hopes
That you will love Him too

May God bless you all tonight with His Father Love!

9 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully said. - Kim

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

Such a nice post! Made me tear up a little thinking about all those Daddy's who would do anything for their little sick ones!

 
At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved reading what you had to say about "the Dads"- and the connection to our loving Father in Heaven.
What you wrote made me think of one of the songs on the Go Fish CD that should have arrived by now from Minnesota. Listen to the words of
YOUR MY LITTLE GIRL. It is one of my favorite songs and now makes me think of Ellie too when I hear it!
Love & Blessings!

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger ~T said...

That is such a sweet post and I love the song.

 
At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Sarah. The Holy Spirit continues to use you in our lives by giving you just the right words to say. You are such an encouragement and an example of how to live in faith. Ryan and I love and miss you all so much.

Tonya

 
At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a 49 yr old who went through life with no earthly father and sometimes feeling bitter about it, what a wonderful thought to know i have always had a heavenly father. thank you for reminding me. Kim who works with Stan Skees(Sprint Nextel. You are all in my prayers.

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah -
How is Ellie's hearing doing this round? I'm praying for you!
Carla

 
At 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

zSarah,
These words were so precious to me as I mother Alexa alone, without her father. He moved away from us 1&1\2 years ago now. He has a "new family." It has been so painful and is still hard to believe at times. But just like you said, it has been a perfect opportunity to share with Alexa about her Heavenly Daddy. Equally, it has been a HUGE challenge for me to really trust that He can be enough for her. I "knew" He could be, but then I had to decide if I REALLY believed it. The lyrics to this song are fantastic and I will get the album for Alexa soon.
I always leave feeling so encouraged and inspired after reading your blog. How does that happen? God is so evident in your lives as a family. I have no doubt that you are a bright light to the area of the hospital that you occupy during your treatments. Thank you for sharing the names of the other children with Ellie's condition in the hospital. We will be praying for them and their families.
Thank you for blessing us with what you wrote about tonight.
Love,
Kristina

 
At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah you continue to amaze and encourage me..thinking of the Skees family always!
love, heather

 

Post a Comment

<< Home