We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

I am nature girl...

... hear me roar!

So yesterday I'm told that everyone's going on an outing to a river to collect rocks for Ellie and hang out in the fresh air. (We try to take Ellie on carefully selected outings. We only take her places with limited human contact right now as her white count has dropped and her succeptibility to infection is greatly increased. We also must be very careful about sun exposure, so on this particular outing we made sure she was continually in the shade or covered by hats and clothing.) I was given the option to stay home alone (which I love doing) or go along. No pressure. Really. "We'll make sure that there's shade for you, Grandma, and Ellie and we can set up an umbrella for you to sit under and relax" they say. (It does not escape my attention that I am in the same catagory as an elderly woman and a small girl with cancer.) Ok, that sounds pretty benign. I can do this. After all, I am tougher than I look. I grew up in the jungles of Central America and can balance in a moving canoe - standing up - for pete's sake. So I go.

We arrive at the banks of a gorgeous river with rock-strewn banks. There was no shade - anywhere! After careful positioning of the trucks and umbrella for shade, we set up. The kids and dogs had a blast and I enjoyed sorting rocks. Reni, Grandma, Lauren and I stayed with the kids while John and Loretta had some fun walking a trail around the bend of the river. Eventually the kids got tired and wet and muddy, so we cleaned up, packed up and readied to go.

Now this is the part in the story where what I was wearing plays a part. It was a hot day, so I figure I'll be the most comfortable in a tank top and a breezy cotton skirt. (I don't wear shorts... ever.) By the time we were ready to leave I noticed that my arms and shoulders were very sunburned (mostly from riding in the truck) not to mention that I had just wretsled two grouchy, dirty children into dry clothes. I was tired and hot and wondering why I had agreed to come. John had just rinsed my feet off and I was sitting in the truck waiting for the final load-up when I heard a buzzing sound and felt a sharp sting on my upper thigh. Oh dear - bee up the skirt! I hop out of the truck and start jumping and flapping my skirt - I'm sure, all the while hollaring something very entertaining. Satisfied, I finally hop back into the front of the truck and let John rinse my feet... again. I hear a buzzing sound near the seat of the truck, so I quickly move over to the passenger side. It follows me. I don't see a bee. But there's something wiggling in my skirt. BEE UP THE SKIRT!! I throw open the door and start flapping the skirt again. Ugh. Like I said... I don't like getting nature on me.

So... was it worth it? Take a look at the following pictures. Oh yeah, it was worth it.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

(Aunt Sharon - I will definitely get a movie clip on of Ellie and Ethan! I tried to take some the other night but I don't think they turned out well. I'll get a nice one. Love you!)

12 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The photos the past couple of days have been priceless. Ellie, you are so beautiful in your new scarves! You look like a model! The rock collecting looks like such fun in the middle of God's awesome creation. Glad you all had such a great day....except possibly for the bee!?
Love,
Paula

 
At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful day for all of you. Thank you so much for all the lovely pictures and posting (you are suppose to be resting)....Ellie looks so gorgeous in her scarves and how great to be a kid again! An answer to so many prayers. Sarah, you do have such a gift of story writing and honesty. So many of us feel connected to your family because of this. Thank you for sharing your heart!

As always in our prayers,
The Haviland's

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Tricia said...

LOL! But I am so sorry you are burnt and stung.
Looking at those pictures....ahhhh.... I need to go to Montana. I bet I could breathe there!
How are your teeth? Love ya!

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger c.g. said...

What beautiful pictures and what priceless memories you are making.

Thank you for sharing Ethan's and Ellie's smiles - they are precious.

The Smile Of A Young Child


The smile of a young child,
So sweet and so fey.
Conveys hope and innocence;
The joy of summer's day.

It illuminates dark times,
Shines a light in our lives.
Makes sad people happy;
And allows good things to thrive.

It can do all this and more,
It is pure, undefiled.
For the power of God;

Is in the smile of a young child.

S. C. Watson


by the way - did the bee survive? :-)

 
At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the pictures it is so beautiful there it reminds me of colorado. we lived there for 4 years before moving to Florida and we miss it. i loved your bee story.i am so glad you are all enjoying yourselves. you deserve it. love and prayers simons family.

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pictures are so cute and beautiful.I was wondering if there was an actual mailing address that I could send a get well card to Ellie.My parents are Jonathan and Lisa Parker. My name is Nicole. Anyways I love the pictures and the bee story was a good one.I dont like bees either!

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I've got to say, a day on the banks of a river in summer looks delicious to me, bee or no bee. :)
I've got enough nature girl in me for the both of us Sarah! I'm so grateful that you are having the opportunity for family fun and adventure. Thanks for the wonderful pictures. Looking forward to some video clips. We are loving you all every day.
Garcias in Paradise

 
At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, You have such a great way of telling a story! The pictures are beautiful!!! Ellie looks so cute in her scarf:) I'll check back for videos:) Love, Beth Horn

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Another Blog said...

Dear Skees,

I'm glad you could get some Montanature on you. I got some on me 27 years ago and it still hasn't washed out.

Agapé

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really loving these updates! What a beautiful place! What a great time for your family.Ellie and Ethan look so happy. Your stories really brighten up my day!
Rob and Zach

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are hilarious!! My vote is for the video clip to be of the "bee releasing"!!!! :0) The kids looked like they had a blast! Following along always...praying always...Les

 
At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that water looks so beautiful, and that veiw- it just looks so refreshing.
We are praying that you all make great memories there.
Ruth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home