We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Friday, May 09, 2008

Our Home...

Finally! I have pictures for you. There are several spots that still need work, but it's finished enough for you to see the vision. I took a TON of pictures because I wanted to give you a good idea of the whole house and how one room leads to the next, etc... I also took some close ups of details that I thought you might like - I'll put those pictures after the overview of each room. Hope you enjoy the tour! :-) I'm sorry the pictures are all different sizes. I tried to make them the same, but for some reason it didn't work.

THE MUD ROOM
While not very exciting, we've found that it's one of the most important rooms of the house! It's still unfinished. I need to paint (planning on doing the same color as the kitchen cabinets - a light blue-green). All the trim will be painted white (and in some cases added where it's missing). But you can at least get the general idea.

This is the view from the inside - out the glass door. The rest of the pictures continue counter clockwise from this point:
Photobucket

All of our miscellaneous sundries...
Photobucket

The door on the right goes into our bedroom. When we split the house as a duplex to share with Loretta, this was going to be our side. Now it's the bedrooms. The door to the left of the stars is our living room - was to be Loretta's side.
Photobucket

The end of the mudroom - directly across from the living room door.
Photobucket

And back around front again.
Photobucket

THE LIVING ROOM
The tour of the lving room starts on the right wall and moves around counter clockwise.

This wall is unfinished. It is, obviously, missing the "H" in Ethan's name. It has taken me months to get all of these letters from Wal-Mart. They apparently do not believe in carrying a complete alphabet - ever. I also have some vinyl lettering on order to add some color and break up the endless straight lines. The curtains are just hanging on the wall - there's no window there. But there's a window direcly across from it and we plan to put a mirror on this wall that will be framed out like the window. It should really help bring more natural light in. I also like how the curtains soften the endlessly long wall.
Photobucket
The door on the right leads to the kitchen, and the curtain on the left is covering the opening to John's office. It's actually the size of a walk-in closet and right now it's full of stuff to be put sorted and put away. So I'll not show you that room.
Photobucket
This is our dining room table. It is Loretta's and is a wonderful thing! It folds down this small and holds four chairs inside it.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The view from the window.
Photobucket

My office! Tricia and Kim, you will appreciate this. I found it at Staples. Well you know that I never seem to find good deals on anything. It is a beautiful piece - wood and wood veniers. It was on sale for $150 (from $300+). I didn't really want to pay even $150, but figured it was still a good price for what it was. It was the floor model. I took the card up to the counter to pay and it ended up being $52. I couldn't believe it. I still can't. Things like that just don't happen to me.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

View from the front window. That's Mike and Reni's house peeking up over the hill.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

These are animals that Ellie drew. I used a color copy to make copies of her art so that I wouldn't destroy the originals. Then I cut out the anmials and placed them on backgrounds that I made in cohesive colors. I just love these! She did an amazing job.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Notice the river with the crocodile eye sticking up out of it. I had to cut out her river along with the crocodile. I thought that was so cute.
Photobucket

And yes, there is an elephant in my room!
Photobucket

I love these pictures of the kids. Ethan has his arm around Ellie exactly the same way that she held him when he was born. I have some vinyl words to put up around these pictures. It's going to say: "Protector, Champion, Friend."
Photobucket

Some of you will recognize this piece. I have modified it to be an ottoman!
Photobucket

This is the figurine I told you about!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

BATHROOM AND KITCHEN

The bathroom and kitchen have entrances from both the bedroom and living room because we were going to share them when it was a duplex.

Yes, it's a shower - not overly exciting except that it's in the kitchen! But it gives you perspective... The kitchen is to the right and the bathroom is to the left.
Photobucket

The toilet is in this little room to the left of the shower. The curtain in the bathroom leads to the closet - our only closet. I'm not going to show you because it's messy - not finished yet - and boring.
Photobucket

This was the only angle I could take the picture from because the bathroom's so small!
Photobucket

This is the view from the door to the living room. The funky little closet there is not finished. It houses the hot water heater, but there's plenty of room for more. We still need to frame it out and put shelves in it. I'm thinking of making the bottom half a very small table with a barstool so that Ethan can sit and be in the kitchen sometimes while I cook. Then the toaster oven can go above. We don't have an oven, so that's what I cook in (other than on the stove top). And of course, that's the fridge across from the closet.
Photobucket

All I have to say here is, yes, I really do need that many towels. Remember that this is the only sink in the house.
Photobucket

That is my silverware hanging below the window. And the dish drainer area at the far right is not finished. There is a huge unit that takes the radon gas out of the water that sits in that corner. It needs to have a special removable top installed. We ended up leaving out the entire corner cabinet in order to fit the unit. We will custom make something to finish it off. You will be able to see it better in other pictures. I can watch deer outside this window while I do the dishes.
Photobucket

Ahhhh - and THIS is my masterpiece! (You can see the unfinished cabinet is where the trash can is sitting.)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The little round tins are spice containers that are magnetically stuck to a strip.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

OUR BEDROOM

This is looking from the mudroom door and goes clockwise. The colors may look a little off - at least they do on my computer. The blue looking wall is actually more green than blue, a kind of soft blue-green. Just a few shades darker than the kitchen cabinets. And the curtains are a variation on the same green that's throughout the house. The green that I've used as an accent color in the living room is more green apple, and this green is a little more dark celery. The kichen has both greens. Also - the bed is only temporarily on the floor. John is going to build a platform to put it on. I also have ordered a vinyl quote (from Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poem "How Do I Love Thee?") that will go on the wall.
Photobucket

The door to the right of our bed leads to Ethan's room. His room is so tiny that we store his clothing in the dresser that you see in this picture, and some of his toys in another dresser in our room.
Photobucket

The view from the window. That is the side of the beatiful new barn that was just built by John's uncle Dick.
Photobucket

Photobucket
This dresser holds some of Ethan's toys. I'm planning to paint it... just haven't decided what I want to do yet.
Photobucket

My make-shift vanity - it's a work in progress.
Photobucket

View from that window.
Photobucket

And we've made it back to the mudroom door!
Photobucket

Do your recognize these mirrors, Joanne? The door leads to the shower/kitchen - see next picture.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I painted this when we came out here for our month long visit in June.
Photobucket

Yes, I am crazy and will do anything in the name of interior design. Those jars are full of my left over paint for the house. I needed to store the paint for touchups. The jars looked so pretty full, and then I realized that they matched everything (of course). So.... what can I say?
Photobucket

These are some of our favorite pictures (and memories) of New York.
Photobucket

Photobucket

I love these curtains (Vintage Moden - Thomas O'Brien, at Target). I also love how the circles are mimicked in the candle sconces (by Wal-Mart - go figure!)
Photobucket

They weren't long enough, so I added a brown linen piece.
Photobucket

ETHAN'S BEDROOM

Photobucket

His view:
Photobucket

Photobucket

We are planning to build a bed up above these toy shelves. That should give him more space to play.
Photobucket

Ethan was so happy that I put these pictures up. He said "Oh she looks so cute! I just love her little bald head." I also hung a family picture on the opposite wall.
Photobucket

A handy-dandy Ikea stuffed animal holder!
Photobucket

Why? Because a boy must have his weapons!
Photobucket

24 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, sarah, it's all PERFECT!!! there's so much more room than i expected, and i'm in love with the colors! i love what everyone's been able to do with that little barn. Thanks so much for the pictures, you've done an amazing job! i can't wait to see it in person someday - you have made yourself another beautiful HOME - love you and miss you!
-krissy

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger Bree at Clarity Defined said...

Your home is SO beautiful... you've have created an amazing space Sarah! I'm impressed by your skills... seriously. I almost cried at what you quoted from Ethan, what a precious boy he is!

P.S. I'm now blogging at http://bleach226.wordpress.com, but I didn't want to change my display name on you. I've linked back to here from my site.

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger Tricia said...

I love it, but then you knew I would. Of course I'm fighting back tears while I look at the pictures. Yay! The inspiration fabric is finally a pillow after all these years! Your armoire...I'm so proud of you!
You've done such a great job on that tiny kitchen, and you have new knives! Just this past week, I was wondering if you took the old card catalog to MT. I'm so glad it wasn't in the yard sale because I would have been upset that I didn't get it:) The paint in mason jars...genius. Is that a heated toilet seat I see?
I really really miss you and am waiting for God to provide a safe way for me to visit you and I really wish he'd hurry up with that. Love you.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger HopiQ said...

Everything is so gorgeous...I could just scream! The tour was amazing. Thank you for sharing all you've done to make your house so special and so you.

P.S. My favorite thing? Those jars full of paint! Oh, and your office deal. The pictures. I love the pictures! and the quotes. I better stop. There are a lot of favorite things.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

Wow, it looks great, Sarah!

Addison has that same Ikea stuffed animal holder!

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger LindaSue said...

No time to comment on details but I LOVE YOUR HOUSE! Sarah - your heart is in the house and the way you include ALL of you in the house is wonderful - I furnish a house but you decorate, enhance and design - WOW

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Thank-you so much for showing us so many photos! I love having a good picture in my head of where you live. I especially like your ottoman because I'm a librarian :)

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Becky K. said...

Soooooo perfect! You are an awesome designer Sarah. I love how you stored the paint!!! How cool is that!
Necessity and invention...great compadres!

Your kitchen is adorable and I love the flooring throughout.

Your Ellie touches are perfect!!!

Love Ethan's weapons and the storage spaces he has.


Becky K.

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL...PERFECT!!!!!!!! You did a stunning job of creating the masterpiece you call HOME..Thank you for letting us take a peek!!

 
At 4:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really think it is beautiful. I love the whispers of Ellie through the house---but what it says to me is "peace"...that is the feeling I get just from looking at the pictures. I hope that is what your family is feeling too!
Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Sharon

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Kimberly said...

I think Ethan will love showing off a loft bed to his friends! That is a super idea.

Your kitchen is probably my favorite in the house. I loved looking at all of the wine bottle, stemware, and magnetic holders. Did they all come from IKEA?

You are amazing!!!!!!
Keep up the good work!

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah,

Yeah......I have been waiting so long to be able to show this to my mom! It looks exactly in the pictures as it does in person. You didn't miss even a corner. Thank You! Hope you have a really good day today and a nice time at dinner. Happy Mothers Day!

Jen

 
At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, Of course it nothing less than a master piece. Love it

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Kate said...

WOW, it looks like it all came straight out of a magazine...BEAUTIFUL!!! Lovely work...GOTTOLOVEIKEA!!! :D Happy Mother's day, dear one!

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice - well organized & tastefully decorated! Awesome Sarah! :) Tabitha

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

It is a lovely home - restful and calm....the colors are perfect. I love what you did with the left over paint.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Mrs. Jackie Sue said...

I think everyone took the words from my mouth! WOW! This is great and thank you for continuing to 'let us all in' your life and now HOME! WOW! You are truly good at what you do!

I know your a wonderfuul wife and mom, are you also an interior designer or is this a 'hobby'? I really love your artwork! WOW!

*HUGS* to you and your new home - if you ever want - our home is white walls and white floor, HELP!!! ;)

Blessings,
Jackie and Family
You're right the flat chest dancer wa perfect and the kitchen accessories are amazing!

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Mrs said...

Oh,Sarah! Speechless! How beautiful and priceless!

It's hard not to be envious of your creativity. I'm sure there's someone out there (you!) who could come into my home, see my stuff, and arrange it in a way that works. Sadly, I don't have that gift.

Oh, and the computer desk? I'm sure that was a gift from your Abba. He only does stuff like that on birthdays, holidays, and anydays.

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it!! it is beautiful. You did such a great job.I felt like I was looking at pictures in a Ikea catalog but with so much love and personality of your family. Thank you for sharing the pictures with us.I have been waiting to see them. your view of outside is wonderful too!!. God Bless Love Simons family

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Mandy Caley said...

wow that is amazing. neat. you definitely have a flair, lassie!!
the curtains and way you have everything, even the handles in the kitchen and EVERYTHING actually -wow o wow.
the photos and the writing and painting
So good
bless you

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!! What a lovely home you've made for yourself. Fantastic. :D

God bless you!

Sheila

 
At 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah - We really must meet. I am CeCe and Tracey Koos' friend, Amy Bruce (the one CeCe called you about). It is really true. Your web site has ministered to me unbelievably. Your home is BEAUTIFUL! I have a bracelet I designed with all the colors you used in your home, it is called "heavenly treasures." I designed it several years ago. I can "see" God in your new dwelling...Bless you sister. In His grace, Amy

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Celena Daniels said...

Sarah

It is absolutely gorgeous!!! I love the kitchen and how "cool" the colors felt in the pictures. I can only imagine what peace is felt standing in those rooms. You have a great gift sister!!!

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah - I have so many favorite things....but I LOVE Ellie's framed pictures (priceless!); your kitchen - every nook and cranny; the paint in the jars. I think God gave you the talent I was supposed to have :) Glad to hear you're in your own home and can see it is a home of love. Gerry

 

Post a Comment

<< Home