We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Iced Mocha with extra whipped cream, anyone?

At long last, my job hunt is over! After a nearly two hour interview this morning, I was offered a job. On Monday I will start work as the personal assistant for a woman who owns and operates a business that counsels young, special needs children. I am very excited about it! The work will be interesting and varied. I will learn the office workings so that I can fill in for others when they are on vacation or the office is extra busy, but my greatest responsibility will be to make my bosses life easier by making phone calls, doing computer work, making copies, filing, getting coffee, running errands... anything and everything. This excites me so much because it will be a good mix of the challenging and the mundane. I will get to wear pretty clothes, interact with people, use a computer, and I will not put up any kind of a fuss when she sends me out on a Starbucks run! :-) I am not making that last part up - she did tell me that I might be asked to go to Starbucks from time to time! Be still my heart.

The best part is that I felt like we had good rapport with one another, because the biggest part of the job will be to maintain a good relationship with her and learn to anticipate her needs. She seems like a wonderful person to work for, and she was quite pleased by the fact that I am calm. She appears to be around my age and has two small children. She fully understands and appreciates all of the extra maneuverings that are necessary in a person's life when children are involved, and allows for flexibility in her employees' schedules to compensate. For example, the one man who works in the office does not have children so he is happy to be there by 7:45 a.m. This allows the others to drop their children off at school before coming in to work. One of the women gets in at 9:00, and I will be able to drop Ethan off at school and make it to work by 8:30. (The drive will take me 30-45 minutes, depending on traffic.) And just when you think this job is too good to be true... there's a cherry on top. She gives 5 WEEKS of vacation time per year. Seriously. I'm very sure that's what she said, and that it wasn't my stressed out interview-brain making that up.

I am just thrilled, but not because I naively think that the job will be perfect and without stress. I fully expect to be overwhelmed at times, and I know that working with people always brings conflict with it. But I am excited because this job is "me" in every sense of the word. It's difficult to describe exactly why... I just know that it is me. And by the way... the office is beautifully decorated. The colors are lovely, it is neat, organized and pleasing in every way. Do you know how much work I can get done when I am not constantly having to mentally re-decorate the place? I so feel like giggling right now.

14 Comments:

At 5:08 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Congratulations Sarah! I enjoy doing a coffee run at my work too.

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Erin said...

Wow! 5 weeks of vacation time! That's wonderful!! Congratulations

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Tricia said...

And you know which Starbucks you'll go to don't you? The one by my house!

 
At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Wendy Riedel said...

Sarah, I am so happy for you!!! Working out of my home ( for the grouphome) I usually just wear grubbies. I also am a slacker in the summer with the kids home all day, so this sounds like a marvelous job. What could be better than a boss who understands being a mom! Congrats!!!

Wendy

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger LindaSue said...

What a wonderful situation! I'm so glad for all of you - with the title I thought you were going to work at a Starbuck's but oh NO a job where you GO to Starbuck's - sounds like a good fit (especially if the office is already aesthetically pleasing!). Woo hoo!

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Tami said...

Sounds wonderful! That is so great!

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very exciting! Sounds like a great fit for you.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Allison said...

Congratulations. I am so excited for you. Starbucks will forsure be a benefit. I love that place. I tell my friends, that when my youngest is in school which will be 2 more years. I want to work at Starbucks because I just love the smell of the place (and love to drink it).

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah! Congrats!! Your boss will absolutely love you! Who wouldn't?

Kim

 
At 2:58 PM, Anonymous aunt Donna said...

You go girl!!! Congratulations!

 
At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your job description - it fits you so perfectly. will pray you enjoy it and get to go to Starbucks often!! Your boss does not really know how lucky she is to have hired you. Know you will be great! Karyn

 
At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Heather said...

PERFECT!!! SOOO happy for you! I was hoping that would work out for you!

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger pk said...

Sarah I'm so very happy for you and yours , giving praise for answered prayer. hugs, pk

 
At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah,

Congratulations!! This job sounds perfect for you.. Will you be able to pick up Ethan from school? Oh and to have a nicely decorated office takes part of the stress out :) Post soon so we can know how it is going and how to pray for you.

Love,
Gena Haviland

 

Post a Comment

<< Home