We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Monday, July 05, 2010

Facebook ate my blog!

6 months!! It's been SIX months since I've given you a decent update. I could tell you how busy I've been and how all of the weeks and months just blur together like one big lump of time. But I choose to blame Facebook. It is just soooo easy to throw out a quick one liner every so often than to think of a real update. Even though it's been so long, I don't feel like I have much to say. John is sweating his body weight daily in this Florida heat. I work a lot of hours, but LOVE my job so much! My boss is really great and there are constantly new ways for me to be challenged. Ethan is enjoying his summer and will be starting first grade all too soon!

I have a friend who wants to come over and take photos of the house, so when she does, I will post those. I would tell you that I could just go around and snap some photos to post, but we all know that would be a lie... sorry.

I will try to do better about getting on and giving you updates. I truly have not meant to go this long without checking in. If you are on facebook, please friend me, and at least that way you will hear from me a bit more frequently.

For now, I will leave you with today's FB post:

Sarah Skees is following dry slime trails around Ethan's room to find his pet slug that got loose sometime in the night. Long story... But the short story is I am NOT amused. Slugs do not make good pets.

M.G: LOL LOL!!!!

K.S.:Oh no Sarah! That is so yuk. We have those things outside and they are gross. I have to constantly tell my kids not to even think about touching them.

Sarah Skees:I have no idea what possessed me to allow such a thing. The funny part is that Ethan wouldn't even dream of touching it. When he realized it was lose in his room, it was all he could do not to throw up. After hyperventilating over a bucket for about 10 minutes, he is now safe on the sofa watching a movie - but the bucket and cold washcloth are close at hand...

T.W.: I'm....sorry....hahahaha! No, really I am but it is funny. I never thought he'd take me up on the offer to put it in a jar....and I figured it would live outside on the porch. Ummm, how exactly did the slug unscrew the lid and escape?

D.L.: Oh that is too funny. Did you find the slug? And I have to know also how did the slug come to unscrew the lid and escape?

Sarah Skees: Well... I was caught between feeling badly for the slug in the jar, and the little boy with big blinky blue eyes who desperately wanted a pet. To stall until John got home, we put some grass in the jar, turned it on it's side, and connected it to another jar with a plastic bag duct taped to each jar, with holes for air. I figured we'd deal with it today, but in the meantime I wouldn't feel like we were being cruel to the creature. My plan was to convince Ethan that slugs don't make good pets. Half an hour ago, Ethan sadly shook his head and said "slugs don't make good pets." See? I'm brilliant! BTW, the holes were very small, but the overlap in the plastic that wasn't completely duct taped, not so much...

D.L: I see where and whom is to blame now but did you ever find the blessed slug?

Sarah Skees: No, slug is still MIA. I am currently trying to bait him with a dish of flour/sugar water (self rising flour because I have no yeast). Beer would be better, but alas, I have no beer...

Sarah Skees: Ethan is on the sofa and I am on the bed... our feet are up off the floor and we are waiting for John to come home. :-)

D.L: If I was in Florida I would come to your rescue but I would probably not be of any good because I would be laughing too much. T.W., you need to go fix this - you do realize that this one is on you! happy slug hunting. lolololol

Sarah Skees: Thanks D.L.! It's nice to be rescued in spirit... the thought does count, you know! :-)

Sarah Skees: I'm happy to report that "Syd" the slug has been found... by Ethan. Ethan is currently sitting on my lap shuddering over and over because he accidentally touched it. Syd was curled up inside a box of legos (that Ethan moved to the living room to escape any possibility of running into Syd) and was found when Ethan reached in to pull out a lego. This is the stuff of nightmares for this little 7 year old boy! And now... he wants a Catfish. Heaven help us all!

J.H: Wow...you seriously might want to consider a dog...MUCH less drama! :0)

D.L.:Sarah Just get the poor boy a puppy and everything will work out.

R.D: Ohhhhhh!! That would just be the beginning of a world of woes!

V.A.: The puppy would have found and disposed of the slug for you too! No fish for pets...they either die too easily or live forever. We had Methusafish. Stupid goldfish we won at a school fair when we living in a hotel because our house was being fixed after the Northridge earthquake of 1994. We went home to our dual rooms that already housed four ... See Morepeople and a 60lb dog with three fish. One was dead in the morning. One last a few days and the last one, with a life expectancy of 6 months, last NINE years. NINE YEARS!!! I kept having to get him a bigger bowl. And how big a bowl does a catfish need? I did see a show on Dogs 101 on Animal Planet about 2 families that share a dog. maybe you know someone that would do with you! But the slug story is too funny!!!

Sarah Skees: John and Ethan are re-locating the slug to a pile of dead leaves in the back yard as we speak!

So, see what you're missing by not having me as a friend on Facebook? :-)

3 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to finally hear something from yu. I still check often for updates so I am glad to see this one. It is so good to hear life is going good for all of you. Enjoy the slug story. Kepp us posted as we still remember to pray for yu and your family. Mema in SC.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger LindaSue said...

You almost make me want to re-enlist in the FB madness - but no - I'll trust the Holy Spirit to move you to let the rest of us non fbers how life is for the Skees - ok the whole slug as a pet thing is far too pitiful - at least get the boy a guinea pig!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Gerry said...

Hi Sarah - it's been a while since I contacted you. How are you doing? I hope all is well with everyone. Just wanted you to know that I still think of you and Ellie. Gerry from MA (through NYC!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home