We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Hopefully going Home...

Although Ellie still had little appetite today, she awoke much perkier than yesterday. It was good to see her up and around - making craft projects and talking with the doctors and nurses...well talking to them is a bit of an understatement -it's more like the desperate chatter of a severely cooped up little girl. I'm telling you, the child must be at least 15 years old for all of the words that she must get out of her system in a day! I've finally had to step in and say "sweetie, you have to let the doctor go - he's a very busy man..." or she would have kept him here all day. I do feel for her though. I'm afraid that I'm not very much fun to be around 24-7. Also when she's feeling good, she's a typical little girl with attitudes that need to be checked and so mommy is not always her favorite person. I also wish that I could say that I was patient today...I was not. Today was just one of those days when everything irritated me. I hate it when that happens - every little thing that Ellie did was like sandpaper on my nerves. That makes it harder because there were times that I really did need to deal with her attitudes or behavior, but I was already irritated over the little things. We made it through anyway. She asked me at bedtime why I was so grouchy, so I appologised then snuggled and sang her to sleep. I think that even off days like today make her feel secure - her world cannot be totally falling apart if things aren't all that different from home...grouchy mommy and all.

Well, when the doctor checked Ellie out, he said (when he could get a word in) that it looks like her bout with the chickenpox is ending! Yipee! Then we got word that she can go home tomorrow (unless something changes between now and then). We may only have the weekend before chemo starts, but we'll take what we can get. I have to admit that my first inclination was disappointment because I am totally set up and comfortable in this room, and the idea of packing up, going home and unpacking, then re-packing for the return trip and then setting up a new room just sounded exhausting. But looking at it through Ellie's eyes completely changes the perspective and I am thrilled for her to get out. Now I am totally excited because we are going to stay with Stan and Pat (John's parents) for the weekend and have an early Thanksgiving with them and Ginger, Russ and Maddie (John's sister and family) and Ethan of course will be there. Our plan is to eat and play and rest and just be together!

The update on my family (for those of you who know them and are wondering about them) is that things are a little crazy right now. My Grandma Jean just went to the hospital today with possible pneumonia. (Grandpa Jim and Mom were there at the hospital with her.) I haven't heard whether pneumonia's confirmed yet or if anything else is wrong. My step-sister, Jenn and her husband Jim just left for China this morning to pick up their new daughter, Emma. We have been waiting for this adoption to take place for well over a year now, and we're so excited that she's finally coming! While they are away, Mom and Gary are watching their other two daughters, Mady and Libby. My Aunt Donna lives several hours away, so we don't get to see her nearly as often as any of us would like. One day when we can work everthing out we will have to have a late Thanksgiving with them all. My step-brother, David and his wife Tricia live in Minnesota and the one and only time I've ever seen them was at our parents' wedding a year and a half ago. Hi guys - if you're reading this! My brother Chad, his wife Janeene, and their son Elijah are missionaries in Papua New Guinea. They are unable to keep up with this blog, but we are trying to update them on Ellie in other ways. My family on Dad's side live out in California: My Grandma Lois (who is planning a visit out here!); Grandpa Chuck and Grandma Irene; Aunt Sharon, Uncle Jerry and Shasta; Uncle Mike; Uncle Steve - I love you all so much!

I must end now and get some sleep, or that grouchy mommy may come back tomorrow...and we don't want to see her anymore...we want the nice one to come out and play. (Oh, never mind - tomorrow is packing mommy - she's all buisness - not much fun either.) I will continue to pop out updates, but if I miss a day here or there it's because we're eating, playing, resting and pretending we live in the life before cancer. A little make-believe is good for a person, right? Like someone's going to tell me no? (then we might see mama bear and trust me, NOBODY wants to see that!) I feel such a sense of power...

Lots of love and goodnight!

4 Comments:

At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your candid account..I can't imagine how hard it is trying to maintain much 'normalcy' in times like these.
Praying always, Leslie

 
At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're welcome. I am so touched by all of the people who are praying and taking this hurt on as their own, that I want to give as much detail as possible so that you are able to really see what it's like day to day - the good, bad, and unfortunately the ugly too.

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah and John:

We're thinking about you every day and praying for you constantly. Give Ellie a big hug for us!

Trisha and David Hamm

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Trisha & David,
Thanks for reading and praying! I can't wait to see you guys again sometime. I'll definitely pass on the hug to Ellie :-)
Sarah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home