We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Day After Christmas...and all is well...

I only have a few minutes tonight, so I will have to get pictures out in a day or so, but I just wanted to let everyone know that Ellie's doing well...we've just been busy the last couple of days, as has everyone. We had a great Christmas, just quiet and low-key. (Although Ethan was there, so "quiet" is not the right word to use!) We spent some time on Christmas Eve with John's parents, then we went out the Michael & Kathy's to stay the night with them. We woke up there on Christmas morning. Of course the children were clammoring for presents and tore into them as all children do! We had fun watching their excitement. We spent the day hanging out together while the kids played - it was wonderful! We did miss my family this Christmas, as there was some sickness that prevented us from bringing Ellie around them. We also missed everyone at the Skees gathering on Christmas day, as we cannot risk having Ellie around very many people these days.

Ellie went in for more bloodwork this morning, and her counts are lowering again. While down, they aren't quite low enough for more transfusions yet. For the most part her energy is good and her spirits are high. Something John noticed when he took Ellie to clinic today, and I had noticed when I took her last week, was how easily and matter-of-factly Ellie discusses her cancer with others. (Last week I listened as she told someone that she has "neuroblastoma" - I was expecting her to say "cancer".) We are starting to see her identify herself with other kids who have cancer, and almost enjoy telling her story. She speaks openly, yet without emotion about the difficult things (like losing the sight in one eye) and even puts a positive spin on things like her hair loss. Today Ellie told the mom of a little boy at clinic that we thought that she would loose her hair right away, but - with a smile and toss of her head - it's not all gone yet! She also happily tells people that it's so strange how all of the dark hairs fell out and it's only light ones left. I love watching her adapt and roll with things, even though I wish that she didn't have to adapt to such extreme things. Ellie doesn't always like the idea of something (she cried when I first told her that she would lose her hair) but the idea gradually sinks in until it becomes a very "normal" thing for her. About a week ago, Michael was helping Ellie with a beading project - bless his heart - and the light was poor, so I turned on the overhead light. Michael said "Ellie may not need it, but I'm half blind" to which Ellie dryly responded "actually, I am!" (It's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything at the time, because I would have blown it out of my nose!) It warms my heart to see her dealing with these new things in her life with humor and grace.

Well, as usual my "couple minute update" has turned into something longer...but when the mood strikes...

I hope that you all had a wonderful Christmas. Thank you so much for your part in making ours special!

6 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Blogger Tricia said...

I love Ellies Dry humor! I can just hear her saying that to Michael!

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Mrs said...

Oh, Ellie! Does she get that humor from Mom, or Uncle Chad? :-D Either way, she's my kind of gal!

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

I'm glad you all had a nice Christmas! It was great seeing you even if it was very brief!

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a number of possibilities for where that humor comes from. Uncle Chad is a distinct possibility! (But I like to think that I have a little something to do with it as well!)

Thanks, Jessica - it was great to see you too!

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful Christmas together. It was nice to see you at Pat's on Sunday. You looked BEAUTIFUL!

Ellie is such a special girl and she is touching peoples lives, all around the world. In and out of clinics, hospitals, churches, and through this blog. She is in our thoughts and prayers.

Kim
(Tricia's sister-in-law)

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, Kim! It was great to see you too. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home