We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Monday, May 21, 2007

A down day for Ellie...

Unfortunately, Ellie is not feeling as well as we'd like. She has not had as much of a problem with diarrhea as we were told to expect, but instead Ellie is fighting nausea and lack of appetite as well as stomach pain. Today she has been unable to eat any solid food and has still thrown up once. She has been on constant fluids since Wednesday (we can bring her home with a backpack of fluids so she's able to get them from home). Tomorrow we will take her in to the hospital and spend a couple of days inpatient while she is set up with TPN (IV nutrition). We were hoping that it wouldn't have come to this, but we can't let her go without food - she just doesn't have the body weight to afford it. It strikes me as a little ironic that this is the first chemo that has caused her to need TPN and it was supposed to be the light one. She needed it of course during her time in the ICU, but that wasn't directly chemo induced... I just think that Ellie's body is too tired and spent to handle even the "light" chemo. (Plus I'm starting to think that there's no such thing as light chemo - that's kind of an oxymoron.)

We will let you know how tomorrow goes, but for now we are relieved that Ellie will be able to get some medication and nutrition that will help her feel better. While she's not constantly miserable, she is quite weak and tired. Thank you all for your love and prayers!

11 Comments:

At 5:31 AM, Blogger LindaSue said...

Will kick the prayers into a higher gear - TPN is such a huge blessing (we did that with my family member and it made all the difference in ability to tolerate chemo). So sorry for this less than wonderful turn of treatment - but grateful for the alternatives available! Bless you Ellie - hang in there lovely child!

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger Laura said...

We will be praying that the nutrition from the IV will just get her back on the right track again - give her a jumpstart to start eating again comfortably. Nausea is such a hard thing to deal with - it is just ever-present - poor little thing - hopefully soon she will be eating Big Macs - ha ha just kidding!

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger c.g. said...

"Remember, O Lord, Your tender mercies and Your lovingkindness, for they are from of old."
-Psalm 25:6

Sarah,

Holding you all in the arms of prayer and asking the Lord for new strength for this next step in Ellie's battle.

My Strength

You are my strength;
you are my salvation.
You are my life;
you're my source of inspiration.
You are my peace;
you're my blessed, calm assurance.
You are my hope.

When I think I can't go on,
you, O Lord, become my song.
I find my rest when I'm secure in you,
for you are my strength.

 
At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am sorry to hear she is not feeling well. will continue to pray for strentgh for her and all of you. God is there and his hands are upon you! always praying love simons family

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are praying in SC and trust God to lift you and Ellie up in his loving arms. I am reminded of the song, "Shetered in the Arms of God" that is where we pray for you all to be right now at this very moment.

 
At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi sweetie,
I'm thinking of you everyday!! Email or call me whenever you feel like it...Hope to see you in New York.
Love, Putsy

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Sheila said...

Aw, I'm sorry she isn't feeling very well right now! I'll be praying for her, that she would feel well and whole, and that the rest of this Chemo wouldn't bother her so much. :)
Love and God's blessings,
Sheila

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you Ellie.
I hope you can feel like eating soon. Love, Aubrey

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just want you to know that Rhoda and I continue to pray for all of you regularly for continued daily strength and wisdom. It has been an enlightening experience to travel through this with you through the blog and to get a pesonal update from Stan from time to time. We pray you will continue to be able to rest in our God.

Arlen J.

 
At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for you right now, Ellie. Hang in there.
Love, Kristina

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Another Blog said...

Dear Lord,

I don't think this is a time for Ellie to be on a diet.
She could be a fashion model already.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home