We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

In the Hospital

I'm writing from Ellie's hospital room. Ellie's blood counts dropped a bit, so she was given a red blood transfusion after which she perked right up! This is why we affectionately call this type of transfusion "go juice". Due to some kind of ordering "snafu" the TPN for tonight did not come... so we're enjoying a nice uneventful night in the hospital. A nice perk is that any medications can be given through her port instead of taken by mouth - something we're taking full advantage of! The TPN always goes on at night, so hopefully by tomorrow night Ellie's will be started.

The nicest thing to happen today was a surprise visit from one of our PICU doctors - Dr. Shaw! John was coming into the hospital this evening when Dr. Shaw was going out, and as soon as the doctor found out that Ellie was here in the hospital, he turned right around and followed John up to the room. We haven't seen him since the day after Ellie was extubated (the last time) so it was very nice to get to show him a much happier and healthier Ellie. She regaled him with stories and showed him pictures from the blog. (He was finally able to hear her voice for the first time.) One of the hard things about being in the PICU was trying to convey to all of the caring doctors and nurses who Ellie was. The Ellie that they saw was so sick and drugged that she was barely a shell of her true self. The nurses, bless their hearts, would talk to her and try to do things the way that we told them she would like them... but they couldn't see her personality or hear her speak, other than in a hoarse croak. So it was very touching to see Dr. Shaw get to connect with the "real" Ellie. In true Ellie fashion, she almost didn't let him leave - I'm convinced that he would still be here listening to her stories if we hadn't intervened... Although she doesn't remember it, she promised Dr. Shaw that she would give him a hug once she was extubated, but was unable to do so... until today! These are the kinds of moments that come along amidst all of the pain and suffering and warm our hearts... being able to see how much the doctors and nurses really care. The kids are not just medical cases to them - they are real people with names and feelings. We don't have a choice to be in this place... but they do. And I say - God bless them for it!

I will continue to let you know how things go here, but I'm expecting that this should be an uneventful hospital stay. We just may be here longer than we had thought. Another of my quirks (of which there are many - and by the end of this ordeal, I'm sure I will have confessed them all) is that I actually kind of like staying in the hospital. I can't believe I just told you that! It's sick, I know. I am always ready to go home, though. Maybe it's just the change of pace I like. Well, for whatever reason, we're doing quite well. Ellie has a playroom to cut the boredom, I have a good book (not to mention a gigantic coffee machine down the hall and a menu of gourmet food choices), and John has the freedom to come and go and burn off energy as needed. Talk to me in several days, though... I'm sure by then I'll be ready to pull my hair out.

I hope you all have a good evening and day tomorrow. I'll check back in later. Lots of love!

10 Comments:

At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey hope the roomie situation is a good one this time. Love ya, vickie

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

That sounds like a perfectly sweet visit with the Doctor! I agree, they do their job so wonderfully, and are to be commended for it! God bless you, and please know that you are still in my prayers.
In Christ,
Sheila

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger c.g. said...

"We don't have a choice to be in this place... but they do. And I say - God bless them for it!"

Amen to that!

"We haven't seen him since the day after Ellie was extubated (the last time) so it was very nice to get to show him a much happier and healthier Ellie."

Especially a big Amen to that!

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sending our love and prayers. simons family.

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update.

Agapé

 
At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before I finished reading this blog, I was wondering if you remembered to give Dr. Shaw his hug?!! He was AWESOME, God was so good to send us such great physicians!!! Love ya, kisses to Ellie from Neal and Aunt B

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah -
We continue to pray for you many times a day and we're believing God for great things with you!
Blessings!
Carla

 
At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah and John - I have been following Ellie's journey through reading the blog and family contacts. I have to tell you that your family is amazing. Your continued strength is being supported by many prayers. The picture of John and Ellie running towards the water is priceless. It is an example what strong faith and a positive attitude can do.

Much love,
Beth Harper (Tindall)

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Gena said...

Sarah,

Thanks so much for the updates. I am always amazed by your family's strength. The photos were beautiful and I am glad you guys had fun and enjoyed each other. I know Ethan was missed and continue to pray for you all to be reunited again!

Always in our prayers,
The Haviland's

 
At 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our prayers continue to surround ALL of you as you go through his journey...its ups and downs. It is so wonderful to read of the praises but so good to know where we need to concentrate our prayers too!
We love you all!
Jill and the Minnesota Family

 

Post a Comment

<< Home