We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Friday, May 30, 2008

Encouragement from Across the World...

I woke up this morning to find an email in my inbox from my brother, Chad. He encouraged my heart with a story about how he had been able to share Ellie's sickness (back before she died) with a man in a tribe in Papua New Guinea who believed that all of us Americans live in Paradise right here on Earth because of all of our stuff. It was wonderful to realize that God can use Ellie's suffering to touch others even around the world. The man that Chad was talking to believed that we just live lives of bliss with all of our wealth (he obviously doesn't know us!) and that we don't have any "heavies" (I love that description of suffering).

Then Chad passed on this story from some of his co-workers who live and work in another tribe. It took my breath away!

"Tonight, one of our translation helpers, Fransis Mbagimba, lost his 6 year old daughter. He is a strong believer and we have spent most of the day sitting with he and his wife outside their hut. Years ago another child died the same way and he went around afterwards threatening people and blaming them for the death and it turned into a community 'heavy'. Today, as she was passing away, he held her and asked if she was going to her Deliverer and leaving them forever and then told her to run to Jesus. After many tears, he spoke to the crowd that had gathered and this is what he said:

You people. Stop crying for my little girl. This little one heard God’s talk and listened to me when I taught her at home. She would listen and answer my questions and believed what we told her about the Deliverer who was God’s Son. She has already gone to her real Father, the one who made her. You should cry for those of us who are still on the ground and especially for those who don’t believe in Jesus. You people standing around here, you who don’t really lift up Jesus and believe in his work down in your underneath thinking – you look at this little girl. God marked her time and how many days she had long ago and He has taken her today on the day he marked. You don’t know your day. Turn your stomach and ask God to save you. Today my daughter died. It is a 'trying time' (trial) for me, but I have heard God’s sweet talk and it is true and I am not going to be in two minds about this. God’s Spirit will help me and I will be strong through it."

17 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, Blogger Another Blog said...

Amen to that, brother and sister.

Phileo

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Kate said...

WOW!!! What else can I say??!!! God is good...

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger LindaSue said...

Wow - absolutely dead on - the man delivered a great sermon from his heart - our Lord is alive and working in the world every moment. Thank you SO much for sharing that with us - we have friends in PNG (David, Lena and Josh Chapman) who are with NTM. They tell us about the work there and it is so ---encouraging is the word I cannot find a better at this moment. I'm encouraged. Bless you

 
At 1:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, amazing and uplifting. Thanks for the great post, Sheri

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Melissa G said...

That's awesome!

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Mrs said...

The fact that he understands so clearly is testimony to the power of God's Word. His word is true!

The fact that he has been teaching his daughter about God and answering her questions is beautiful.

The fact that he told her to Run to Jesus is beyond comprehension. Wow.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Barbara said...

Wow.....just think she is up there playing with your Ellie!! God used her little life in the life of a tribal person in PNG which is totally neat!!
Love

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Mollie said...

Run to Jesus... wonder if the little girls are sharing their "running" stories, without the sorrow and tears part of course. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger AJS said...

Wow! I'm speechless...simply WOW! God is amazing. God is good. Thank you for sharing this story with me.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

That is awesome!

 
At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's such an incredible story. Thank you so much for sharing.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Taryn said...

Thanks so much for leaving me your note. I think one of the things I have enjoyed the most about blogging is putting myself out there - my thoughts, my experiences, etc. - and sharing them with both friends and strangers alike. It really is a great way to put some creative energy to use and I know that as we go through our journey with Aiden, it will be a good outlet at times.

It really is a small world and the internet is a very unique tool! I had another person contact me just by doing a google search of sorts and now we have been able to share our similar stories and feelings with eachother. It's been an amazing blessing. And although my family has not experienced what you have in the loss of a child, I'm sure there are still many similarities as a parent that we share. I really believe that things happen for a reason - having children with the same name could be more than a coincidence!

I've read some of your blog entries and am truly inspired by your strength and trust in God. I hope I can learn from you as we go through our journey with Aiden.

Thanks again for contacting me!

Taryn

 
At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah

Just wanted to let you know that we have been thinking about you. You and your family are always in our prayers. Loved all the pictures of the house. Sure miss seeing and talking to you guys.

God's comfort
Tiffany, Pete and Carson

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Mandy Caley said...

Hiya. Often think of you guys.
And pray.
Here is a website our daughter found that someone recommended to her (she lost her little boy about an hour after birth)she said it has helped her to read this lady's writings.
So I thought I'd share it with you, you are two women of faith who have traveled a hard road.
http://audreycaroline.blogspot.com/

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Julie said...

We serve a miraculous Savior. It is wonderful to hear of the Lord's work among others groups. Amazing that the man used the same words as you did with Ellie. But you know when Jesus is our sustainer, rock and foundation what can we do but run to him. Have you read the newest Ntm in Touch (you know the new Brown Gold) the whole first 5-6 pages are full of testimonies from a tribe in PNG that heard the chron lessons and came to the Lord. It was such a blessing as were these stories from Chad. I think of him from time to time. Hi to him next time you write. Love you!

 
At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Skee's family, I still think of Ellie every day, and i know you don't know me but i hope you like this video of 3 Neuroblastoma angels - Christi Thomas, Ellie Stockwell, and of course your Ellie Skees. Hope you like it:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aTwySwic3zQ

From Rachel in UK.

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are no words to convey how utterly moving that is...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home