We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Confessions of a toolbelt diva

I've been painting!! Can you see my smile from there? I'm giddy with delight... or would be were it not for the pain in my neck, back, shoulders, legs, arms... Ugh. I am by no means finished, but it's starting to look beautiful. Think walls of coffee ice cream with one wall that looks like pure milk chocolate. Yum. It was like painting with chocolate fondue. Had there not been a paint smell, I would have been so tempted to lick it! I had such a blast today. I was singing along with the radio while I painted. Even the Stephen Curtis Chapman song "Cinderella" didn't completely take me down. (The chorus says "So I will dance with Cinderella, while she is here in my arms 'cause I know something the prince never knew. Oh I will dance with Cinderella, I don't want to miss even one song, 'cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight and she'll be gone.") I sang along and thought about Ellie. I also remembered the day Ellie died. John and I promised her that we would be o.k. This was a good day for me. A day of being o.k. Ellie wanted to move into this house so much. Even the day before she died, she would talk about what it would be like to have a "normal" life again and how she wanted her room decorated. That has caused me some pain to know that she never got her wish. But I know that she would be so happy for us. I had the thought that maybe God could pull back the curtain of Heaven a little and let my girl have a peek at my paint choices. But then I thought that He would need to give her a second look once it's finished because I couldn't bear it for her to see it unfinished.

So a wonderful thing happened today. I found my cordless drill! I almost cried when I thought it had been sold in Florida. I love that crazy drill. It's perfect - lightweight with an easily removable chuck. I can be balanced at the top of the ladder and do a one-handed switch between the drill bit and the screwdriver. Anyway... I found it today and called John, all excited. His response? "Oh, good." Such enthusiasm. Maybe it's because he has the mack-daddy heavy duty upgraded drill (the reason I inherited my little treasure) and couldn't fully appreciate my joy. That's alright. I did my own little happy dance and continued painting.

Sometime later, John stopped in to check on my progress and we had a conversation that went something like this:

Me: Honey, would you mind if I hang the curtain rods while you are at work this week?
Him: Yes.
Me: Yes, I can or yes you mind? (Because one could hope that he misunderstood the question.)
Him: Yes, I mind. (Drat.)
Me: Oh. Really? You really want to do it yourself?
Him: Yes. Whenever you want - I'll do it. I want to find the studs.
Me: It really doesn't matter where the studs are. The rods will need to be hung in a certain place whether there's a stud there or not.
Him: I know. But I can use my new stud finder to figure out whether we need to use an anchor or not. (Ahhh. So now we have come to the root of the issue. It's his nice, new, fancy stud finder against my oh-so-perfect drill.)
Me: Well, I just drill a tiny hole where I want the screw to go. If there's wood there, I screw into it. If not, I use an anchor. (I have learned this the hard way. I have left behind a trail of gaping wounds in walls all over the state of Florida, that have been cleverly hidden by pictures or other decorations.)
Him: But I have a really cool stud finder. (Said with all of the wisdom and confidence of a man who knows his wife is not a perfectionist. Also a man who has probably stumbled accross a few of his wife's hidden wall "boo-boos".)

Score one for the stud finder.

That's o.k. I can guarantee you that someday John will return home to find that something in the house has been fixed or hung by me and my drill. I may even pay attention during the curtain rod installation so that I can use his stud finder too! I must find an excuse to don my tool belt. Oh yes, I have my own tool belt. (A very sweet and optimistic gift from the man to his non-perfectionist wife! A gift that said wife chooses to believe has nothing to do with husband's fear of missing or mangled tools in his own pristine tool belt.)

Progress reports will be forthcoming.

12 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think every woman knows the value of not stepping in between a man and his tools. You aced the test, Sarah! :) I can't wait to see all the creativity splashed on the walls of your new home.

You go Girl!

 
At 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Music to my ears!!! I was envisioning the light brown going up first after seeing it. But the dark.......I am going to have to come back over!!
It is so absolutely amazing to see you experiencing joy. You are an amazing artist I am finding out. You did learn about cutting your friends deals in that marketing class now didn't you?!
Thanks for always making me smile! I had to keep my giggling in check tonight in talking about our arms so I didn't wake everyone in the house up. You are such a dear friend. I don't know how I got so lucky!
Much loves~Jen

 
At 5:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a fun post to read! So glad you are enjoying your painting and decorating. It's obviously very therapeutic for you. The walls sound deliciously beautiful! Can't wait to see pictures on here of it all when it's finished.

Thanks so much again for sharing your heart with us.

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger LindaSue said...

Oh my what glee! Yes I have a few tools that are "MINE" (one my DH scoffed about when we got together - a beautiful flower patterned handle with multiple tips hidden inside so they can be changed out easily) - of course he finds uses for it often instead of getting out the mack daddy big tim allen grunt here POWER tools he has. Glad the decor is coming along - licking the walls will leave marks so I'd advise against it! LOL - have fun and pictures - we need pictures!

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Day by Day said...

You totally cracked me up with the drill. My John would be the same. I too have had boo-boos covered with pictures:) Needless to say I am banned from certain things. I am also not allowed near the electrical equipment (tv,vcrs,ect)

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Tricia said...

I totally understand the tool love! That chop saw in the garage....its MINE. (As is the Dremel, the Roto Zip, the tool kit, the bit set.....you know.). I don'thave a fancy stud finder though. Hmph.
I can't wait to see pictures of the finished place! Let me know if you ever want to come to my house and get paint happy :)

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that song, I think of John and Ellie everytime, I usually change the channel. You know I love your paint choice, that's all I could think of when I was sitting there with mom, COLOR! When Fred and Barb helped paint my College Park house, he kept saying "I'm coo coo for Cocoa Puffs!" I was so worried it would be too dark, and you know how much I loved it! Miss you guys sooo much, wish I could come help paint. Love you, Aunt B

 
At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey in our house I own the three tier red tool box on wheels in the garage. And this is because my dear hubby believes that hanging pictures with 3 inch roofing nails is appropriate. Henry gets on multi purpose interchangeable screw driver and a pair of needle nose pliers and he has to leave the tools in the garage alone including my cordless drill and stud finder. Some men are not gifted in the use of tools, but the Lord provided a wife that is.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Kerry said...

What a blessing to see you find joy again!

I didn't have brothers until I was 15...so my DIY dad taught me how to use all the big tools...the jig saw is my favorite. :)

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are too cute...

 
At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you got started on your painting and had a good day. You are so cute! Can't wait to see pictures after you work your magic!

love, heather

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

Ok, this had me laghing Sarah! This is just like James and I. I just get too excited about it all and DO NOT want to wait. But James wants to do it right.

If I hang it, it might fall. If he hangs it, a person could likely hang on it and it would still stay on the bloomin wall.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home