We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Now presenting...The Blonde Afro

the afro

No, it's not permanent.

It began like this:

Last night, both John and Ethan were in bed after having made a gruelling 12 mile hike in Glacier. (Ethan walked for a whopping 9 miles and then John carried him on his shoulders, over his backpack for three severely downhill miles in the pouring rain!) I was not so tired, because I did not do the hike. (Yes, I have made peace with the fact that my 5 year old son is stronger than I am.) Anyway, I digress. So they were sleeping and I was watching TV shows on my computer. I had finally decided that I was tired enough to sleep when a brilliant idea struck. (Note to self, not all ideas that pop into one's head in the middle of the night are worth acting upon.)



Here's the background that leads up to the story... a little hair history: (This is the part of the story when any men who are reading this have my full blessing for their eyes to glaze over...)

Me and my pin straight hair have always struggled with curl-envy. I have tried to fight it, but when one's best friend in high school has gorgeous red curls (I love you, Marion) it's rather difficult. When I was in grade school, my mother, bless her heart, used to spend painstaking hours putting "rag curls" in my long hair. (For those who have never done this, you take small strips of rags and roll a section of damp hair around the center of the strip until it touches the head. Then you tie the rag ends together to hold the little roll of hair tight. And you repeat it until the full head of hair has been done. The end result looks something like little knots of hair tied with whatever color of rag you used. When you wake up in the morning, you end up with a head full of curls that will last for days. You should try it, it's pretty cool.) When I was old enough to work with my own hair, I put sponge rollers in at bedtime. I also occasionally practiced on friends. (Julie, considering the above picture, you should feel thouroughly avenged for the time I made you look like Bozo the Clown in highschool.)



I then spent years getting permanents. The problem is, my stick straight hair would even rebel against the perms, and they never got curly enough or lasted long enough. Which is how I met my hairdresser, Cece. I walzed into her salon one day, with long straight hair and told her that I wanted the curliest perm she could give me. She said that she could do it, but tried desperately to talk me out of it. I was adament. So she did it. And I loved it. But I later had her cut it all off short. This led to the years of perming and highlighting so that I could blow dry it into the cute flippy Meg Ryan cut. I loved that. Then Cece moved out of town. And I stopped the perming and the highlighting. Talk about breaking two addictions cold turkey! Yikees. By the time Cece came back, I was desperate for something new. After fixing my months of self-coloring (which is a very painful story that we don't like to remember), Cece gave me a cut that made the most of my straight hair. And that was when a miracle happened... I had finally, for the first time in my whole life, made peace with my straight hair!! I have now spent years of happiness with my sleek, straight, short hair. (I am still addicted to highlighting, but that's another story. It turns out that somewhere along the line - no one knows exactly when, because my natural color has not exactly seen the light of day in a very long time - my naturally blonde hair turned brown. Cece says that childbirth is the culprit.)



After moving here, I found my hairdresser, Katrina! She's wonderful, and has done a great job following Cece's origional cut. I was happy. But then I stopped going for a while. I figured that I might like to let my hair grow a bit. My bangs are now too long, so I pull them back in a clip. I guess I just got kind of bored.



Which brings us to last night:

I no longer own curling irons, hot rollers, or even the dreaded sponge rollers. What do I have? Rags. Lots of them. Oh yes, I did do that. If anyone out there acted upon my earlier suggestion to try this because it's so cool, before you read the rest of this post, you totally deserve what you got! (And this is what brought me to the realization that my mom had never been properly thanked for all of the hard work she did on my hair as a child! I thought my arms were going to fall off! It took almost an hour - and that's with short hair. What makes it even more impressive is the fact that Mom didn't just do it once. She did it quite a few times! Now that's love. I love you, Mom. My little girl self may not have been thoughful enough to appreciate it, but I sure do now! And not because I'm thoughtful. Because my arms hurt.) You should have seen John and Ethan's faces this morning when they saw my head covered in little knots with white ties. (I know, I really should have gotten a picture.) The problem is, I woke up and went "oh no. I think this may not have been such a good idea." As I took out each rag, the little knots of curls just kind of sprung (sprang?) back into place against my head. So I gently proded them with my fingers. Uh-oh. The whole mass of hair just grew and grew... and, well, you know. You saw the picture!

So now I had the choice to just wash my hair and be done with the whole fiasco, or try to work with it. Like I told you, it was too much work to dismiss that easily. I ended up combing and working with the curls until I got this result:

Photobucket

So there you go. I am very easily bored, and easily amused. It was sooo worth it! It's not every morning that you get to spend in gales of laughter... and in bringing laughter to everyone you see. Or rather, those who see you!

17 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I laughed,I cried, and laughed some more. I got quite an abs work out. :) Can you do this again? I really do like your end result. Very cute. Love you, Vickie

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I DO feel better reading this blog! LOVE the look, too. You look VERY youthful with those darling curls. LOVE EM!

And, I DO remember how incredibly time consuming those rag curls are to make! I tried it on Erin once when she had waist long hair...what a JOB!!!

Sheri :)

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Bree at Clarity Defined said...

Haha, Sarah... that is FANTASTIC. I loved this story. My mom used to put my hair in rags and I loved it. Aww, now I'm all nostalgic (but don't want the arm pain).

 
At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Never mind the deleted comment... that was me! I was testing something with the comments and accidentally posted it. No worries.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Phyllis said...

Thanks for sharing the laughter!

 
At 6:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah,

You are too cute! I suffer also from stick straight hair and had never heard of the rags. I will have to try this one night. Thank you for sharing and the pictures!

Love and Prayers,
The Haviland's

 
At 6:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, I had curl envy too! I did perms all the time, but my straight hair was too resistent also. I too finally embraced the straight, but I also am addicted to the highlights! I think I will try the rags... You look GREAT!
Love you, Aunt B

 
At 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, I knew from the start of this what had happened. I too have pin straight hair and can fully relate. Been there done that. Relieved to see that I am not the only one that gets crazy in the middle of the night.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger HopiQ said...

Oh, you brought a smile to my face on this drizzly, dark morning! I remember rag curls. I do love how you made those curls do what you wanted them to. So cute!

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Tricia said...

The first picture totally freaked me out, but I love how you look in the second picture, though actually getting to see apicture of you nearly made me cry.

Remember when I colored your hair red? !

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Becky K. said...

The end result is adorable!
Funny post!

Becky K.

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I opened the blog I was positive you were drunk on all that fresh air out there. I have been brought to tears numerous times over the blog but this time from laughing so hard it hurt. You so brought back memories of “poodle hair” as my sister and I now call it. In the 80’s when the style was longer in the back and shorter layers on the sides and top. You know the female version of the mullet. Add rag curls and voila, “poodle hair”. I do have many fond memories too when Carla and I were younger and my mom did both of our heads of waist length hair. My poor mother, your are so right…that is love! Love and miss you so much. Tonya

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Allison said...

That is so hilarious. I have been laughing to hard as I read your blog entry. I love it. I really do think that the final picture looks realy cute on you. I guess we want we other's have for hair, my hair has some natural wave to it and I staighten it every morning. HA.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger LindaSue said...

That is some impressive amount of curl from those rags! Did Ethan just howl? The "end result" picture is very cute and you look adorable with a gleam in your eye and lots of bouncy curls restrained by a scarf!

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Julie said...

I feel like I need to break out into a chorus of "Tomorrow, tomorrow I love you tomorrow...":) I was remembering the do you gave me while reading. Remember how you pulled it out and it sprang back to my head and you did it again and again all the while howling? Or how about your late night art work on the bottoms of my feet in pen. Ah, that was a great year- oh the memories! Anyway, I really love your hair done up with the head band. Too cute.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger [ew] said...

hey sarah,
i'm not sure if you remember from sanford or not but i had to comment on this post. my mom did rag curls with me too and mine always turned out the way yours did in these photo's...i always had short hair growing up and wouldnt accept my older sister amanda (who had longer hair)having curls and not doing the same. and yes, i'm still in curl envy :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home