We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Monday, December 08, 2008

Heaven's where the heart is...

Ethan had a wonderful birthday! We let him open a couple of presents first thing because his party wasn't going to be until after supper. He got a remote controlled truck (just like Papa's actual truck) from Mom and Gary (Papa). He also got a tee shirt, and a matching one for Daddy. Those two gifts made his day!

Photobucket

The new guy had to be introduced to Lightning McQueen. As you can see, Lightning was not exactly impressed.
Photobucket

Photobucket


In the evening, we went over to Mike and Reni's house and my friend Jen came over with her two kids, Bailey and Codey, as well as Bailey's friend Abby. Ethan opened more gifts and we had cake. Then the kids ran around the house playing with the truck. They took turns driving the thing and whoever wasn't driving was chasing the truck and jumping over it. I don't think I've ever seen kids have so much fun all together with one toy! Even though all three kids were much older than Ethan, they played with him so nicely. I think that part of the evening was more fun for Ethan than the presents.

In the background, from left to right: Abby, Bailey, Codey, Mike. Ethan's "new sister" Josie (La's golden retriever) is on the far left. :-)
Photobucket

Although, speaking of presents... over a month ago, Ethan was watching me sew a pillow out of Ellie's clothes and he asked me if he could have one for his birthday. I made one for him, and today I heard him tell someone that the pillow was his favorite gift! That truly spoke volumes to me about where his heart is at these days.

Ethan's pillow:
Photobucket

A closer view...
Photobucket

Inside the pocket I put the one fabric that Ethan specifically requested. It was from a blouse that Ellie looked so cute in. (It was the same blouse that I saw in the store on a rack when we were back in FL for her memorial service.)
Photobucket

Photobucket

The back is from a pair of Ellie's sweat pants. The satin stripe was down the side of the leg.
Photobucket

After the party was over, just before bedtime, Ethan was very quiet. (If you have ever met Ethan, you know that's unusual.) When we questioned him, Ethan said "I just miss Ellie" and walked out of the room. I was so glad that we had a small family party instead of a big "kid" party with just kids his own age. Bailey and Codey have such an ability to fill in those empty places that Ellie left.

So, Ethan's birthday was special. But those special days tend to highlight the ache... How much we miss stands out in such sharp contrast against the happiness. Also, as we experience some "highs", an equal and opposite "low" tends to follow. I have felt this principle at work in my own life, and now I am observing it in Ethan. Because of this, and because Ethan seemed like he might be coming down with something, we let him sleep in and stay home from school today. The sickness didn't develop, so he will go tomorrow. I'm not sorry we kept him. I think we all needed to just hang out around the house today.

I leave you with a photo of my two great loves:
Photobucket

12 Comments:

At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very good time had by all! I'm still shocked that no one hooked the cord and yanked the fragile lamp off the table! Yikes! The Skees.....what can I say......you guys know how to have fun! The kids were doing hot-laps like they owned the place!
If Ethan ever had a shell, he certainly has ditched it in the last year. What a sweet boy you have. I see so much of Ellie in that little smile of his. After a busy weekend, it was refreshing to sit next to you and giggle watching Ethan chase Abby around the room......"Soooooo, how old are.....you????"
Love you guys so much and always know that you are in our continued prayers.
Much Loves~Jen

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger LindaSue said...

Thanks for sharing the big boy's birthday celebration - I'd LOVE to have an RC vehicle or two - Skip and I could race them around our pastures and scare the crud out of our lazy goats! Yes - Ethan is so tender hearted and all of you are still grieving -the high and low thing seems quite normal. The lows won't be as low - eventually -love to all the Skees - those in Montana and the one we think about who is in Heaven.

 
At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you sarah for keeping us connected! i wish I coulda been there too. hug your two men for me!

 
At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, tears in my eyes...that little Ethan! Miss you, Sheri :)

 
At 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too precious...

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Becky K. said...

Love the pillow! I also loved the Daddy and Son matching shirts...way cute.

You continue to touch my heart and so many others simply by sharing your journey.

Thank You...

Please stop by today, if you get a chance, and enter my contest/giveaway....

Becky

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Kendra Rickert said...

The pillow you made is really gorgeous! I think that is just a fantastic gift and a great way to keep Ellie close! I also wanted to say that the last picture of your two men is so fantastic! I just love it. I continue to pray for your family, especially during these special days of the holidays.

 
At 2:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cant believe how much ethan looks like ELLIE on that third picture down! wow.....i think he is diffenatly living for ellie!

Have a blessed birthday little on

Alll my love
lucie
(a 5 year Nb warrior as of today!

 
At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah - you've been busy! And, wow, how big Ethan is getting; and cuter. You can tell he and John are real pals. I love the pillow you made for him. He'll always be able to hug Ellie and be close to her. I'm amazed how you continue to open your heart to everyone. It's been a long, hard year and a growing one for all of you. Blessing to you all. Gerry

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is so interesting (in a good way!) to see how Ethan is dealing with it all. He is such a strong little boy. He has such insight and love for Ellie. And those eyes! ;)
Love to all, and best birthday wishes to Ethan (even if they are a little late) :) :D

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger c.g. said...

The last picture is so sweet.

The pillow is wonderful. What
a special treasure for Ethan.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Swift Eagle Works said...

You are such a special mom! I love the pillows. I showed them to my daughter. I think that is a wonderful way to remember them. It makes for a very meaningful present.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home