We will always remember Ellie for her love for others, her creativity, sensitivity, and delight in life! Ellie's light has spread far and wide... may it continue to shine in our hearts.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

The longest and the shortest year ever.

Sooooooo. (Insert deep breath here.) We are almost at the one year mark since Ellie died, and I've been thinking. Those of you who have been following this blog for a while know what's coming next... a LONG post. It's sad that I have only written a couple of sentences and I can already tell that it's a doosey. I may even take a few days to get this one out of me. We shall see.

I think that number of preconceptions on my part have led me to assume that the one year anniversary is a magical deadline that marks the official end to grieving. Even as I type the words, I can hear the outcry through my computer of hundreds of voices yelling at me, in unison, "it is NOT!!" I do know in my heart that it's just not true. Still, for some reason, it feels like it's supposed to be that way. While in this day and age we don't adhere to the tradition of wearing black for a year, or any of the other "one year" mantras, we all know of them. We've all heard the stories and remember Scarlett O'Hara's dancing feet behind the skirted tablecloth as her rebellious heart pulled against the confines of a society that made her mourn in stoic blackness. I've also read websites of other grieving parents who have had tactless loved ones infer that they should be "over it" by now. I can go no further in my ponderings before stating, for the record, that not one of you has ever made us feel badly about our grief over Ellie. No one has even implied that we should feel anything other than deep sorrow for as long is it takes. And not one person has made me feel guilty for learning to sing and dance and laugh again before the calendar reaches December 19. You all have been the most amazing listeners ever. Which is why I feel so comfortable attempting to put words to the un-quantifiable.

Here goes. December 19th is nearly upon us, and I am looking forward to it with equal parts of anticipation and dread. The anticipation comes from feeling unlimited freedom to revel in all things "Ellie." I know it shouldn't be this way, but I feel like there needs to be a reason - a special day or anniversary - to give me the permission to just jump in with both feet and immerse myself in photos and videos and memories and sadness, as well as joy. I guess I just have this inner limiter on how much I "stick" on Ellie, and perhaps how much I think others can tolerate. I have this fear that I will wake up one day thirty years from now and realize that I have allowed the tragedy of my daughter's death to color every other event in my life. That I will eat, sleep, and breathe Ellie. That this one event will be the groove on the record of my life, into which the needle has worn. And so I'm wary. Which is why days like her birthday and death-day are sort of free days to me. Those are the days when I get to go Ellie-crazy. They are her days.

The dread part comes in when I realize that, oh my goodness, they are HER days! The full reality rushes in on me that I will never again, on this Earth, get to hold my little girl's hand or touch her face. That she should be the size and shape of all the other little ten year old girls that I see at church, but really she is forever frozen at nine. That crushing reality is something that I dread with every fiber of my being.

There you go. Equal parts of anticipation and dread. It makes me feel edgy and uncomfortable. I'd kind of like to know which way I feel - happy or sad. You know... pick a lane! It's just not that simple. Grief is messy and unpredictable.

And then there's John. He has found his lane. He is SAD. I have to admit, I kind of envy him that. I suppose it sounds a little strange, but when I look into John's eyes and see the pain that's always there, I wish that I could join him. I spend so much time doling my emotions out in little controlled bits, all the while fearing the great and terrible unleashing of that irreversible tide. I think if John had a motto, it would be "unleash it baby!" That amazing man grieves with all of the ferocious intensity of his loving nature, and I'm telling you, it's a tsunami.

This brings me to my next topic. Marriage and grief. Oh yeah, I'm going there. I have been working this out in my heart for weeks - what to share and how to share it. What has come to the forefront of my mind of late, is that you have been involved in our lives from the beginning of Ellie's battle with NB. And over the past year, you have been a witness to our grief. Part of that grief process is how it impacts our marriage. As you know, I tend to shy away from talking much about John on this blog. I do realize that it can be kind of one dimensional, and I don't do it because I just like talking about myself. I am very acutely aware of the privacy of another individual's feelings. I figure that the only person that I can speak for with any kind of authority and accuracy is myself. And so I tell my story. I just never know what to do with it when my story blends into John's, and since we're married our stories are seriously intertwined.

Before I go any further, I need to give you the framework from which I will describe our marriage. There is one and only one concept that you need to take in and believe before I go on: THERE IS NO VILLAIN IN OUR MARRIAGE. We are two uniquely flawed individuals who fell in love nearly 16 years ago. We have all kinds of weaknesses and habits which have impacted our marriage to varying degrees. But above it all, lies the realization that we are on the same team. For instance, in nearly 15 years worth of morning coffee, John has carefully rinsed the stirring spoon off and neatly laid it on the drainer - every time. And I have flung it into sink with all of the other dirty dishes that I will eventually deal with. Some days he has to ask for the millionth time, where the spoon went. Other days I shake my head when I have to remove the spoon from the dish drainer to wash it (because that's where clean dishes go, not rinsed off dirty ones). But do you know what really matters to us? The fact that we both love our morning coffee. Seriously, LOVE it. And just for fun, this week I've been rinsing the spoon and placing it neatly on the drainer. Because it makes him smile. (I'll probably return to flinging it in the sink next week because I really don't like adding two more steps to my coffee routine. I'm actually allergic to the word "routine" and the fact that I have anything resembling one, irks me.) What does this have to do with anything, you ask? Nothing. I just thought we needed something to cut the heaviness... and I just wanted to make the point that "different" doesn't necessarily mean "wrong." In fact, one of my favorite quotes says "If both of you were the same, then one of you would be unnecessary."

Once upon a time, a quiet, sensible (at least in her own mind), stubborn, laid back girl met an intense, loving, slightly O.C.D., thrill-seeking boy. Oh yeah - instant fireworks... in a good way. Surprisingly, given our vast differences, our marriage was pretty easy. Our most difficult thing is, and always has been, communication. I avoid confrontation like the plague and would rather have my teeth pulled than try to come up with how I'm feeling on demand. He believes in meeting the issue head-on and talking for as long as it takes to resolve the problem. On top of that, he has some sort of extrasensory perception because he can always tell that something's bothering me, often before I know it. (I mean, he can tell if someone else is in the room with me when he calls me on the phone. Who does that?) This generally leads to my having to come up with feelings on demand (shudder). It's not pretty. But other than the communication thing, our differences have complimented each other nicely. I have always been timid and fearful, while he is strong and capable. And my easy going stability has soothed his intense nature. I am reserved and he is demonstrative. You know the feeling you get when you feel like someone's watching you? Sometimes I would turn my head to the right only to find his eyes one inch from my face. Then he would smile and kiss my cheek. And this was in church.

Our marriage pretty much hummed along for years. It wasn't perfect, but it felt wonderful to us. When Ellie was diagnosed with NB, there were stressors that we had to deal with, but for the most part we pulled together even more and worked as a team. And then Ellie died. We began hearing how stressful the death of a child can be on a marriage, but we didn't feel as if ours was in danger. We had a solid foundation, and good history. Early on we felt united in our grief over losing Ellie. But over time, we started growing apart. Just this past week, things kind of came to a head and we have done some "re-connecting" for lack of a better word. It has prompted me to look back over this year a bit to sift through and try to see if I can make sense of things. What I've found is that our difficulties have come from a combination of just doing what comes naturally, (which has been exacerbated by an extremely emotional situation) and the fact that who we are as individuals has been changed because of the loss of Ellie.

It's funny how hindsight is 20/20. When I look back, it's easy to see things that I didn't pay attention to when they were happening. I think that the first thing that both John and I did was to simply have no expectations of each other. When we looked at one other, we had compassion on the fact that we had just lost our daughter, and silently gave each other permission to grieve in our own way. Doesn't that sound good? In theory, it is. I suppose it's the way that we should view each other. But in practice, we just drifted apart in our grief.

True to my reserved and non-communicative nature, I simply turned into my own head. I sorted out my thoughts and feelings quietly. There have been so many times when John has had to read the blog to figure out what is going on with me. (When I read it right there in black and white, it makes me want to cry.) John's nature, being opposite to mine in every way, led him to spend hours upon hours crying in his office over photos and music. And he had no problem articulating the pain he was drowning in. I desired to make life "normal" again. I strove to regain balance and harmony because I didn't want to feel the pain. John, on the other hand, felt as if his guts had been torn out and life would never ever be normal, let alone livable again. He would alternate between living in the depths of despair, and attempting to numb the pain.

Honestly, the way that we have handled our grief is no great surprise to me. It is exactly how I would have expected us to do it. But what has thrown us for a loop is how we have each changed over the course of Ellie's sickness and death. I don't think that a person can go through such things without coming through changed. I have faced great loss before, and lived through it. It is probably the one thing that has helped me regain my equilibrium since Ellie's death. I already knew that it was survivable. God has taken me deeper and deeper into His love through this whole experience, and I have come out on this side feeling stronger. It is a strength that comes only from knowing how weak I really am, and that it is God alone who does the work in and through me. There is this feeling of being indestructible, emotionally speaking. But what has happened in my marriage is that John has felt un-needed by me. I used to be so needy and fearful, and that side of me fit perfectly with John's strength. But now I am simply not afraid anymore. And honestly, I just don't miss the old me. I didn't like being that girl. I didn't like being afraid all the time. But with this new lack of fear, I am also less afraid of confrontation. I can take a little buffeting and push back. And this is a very new dynamic in our marriage. This is not to imply that John is aggressive. He is not. It's just that I am better able to speak up and communicate through issues now in a different way than ever before.

John has changed as well, but when I look at him, I realize that many of his changes are still in process. Bluntly put, he has been crushed. This is the type of crushing that simply does not heal overnight. It certainly doesn't heal in the magical one year time slot. It is messy and excruciating. And, I get it. I don't mean to mix metaphors here, but Melanie told me that it's a lot like what happens when someone is badly burned. They have to continually scrub off the layer of skin on top that's trying to heal over, because in order to heal properly, the burns need to heal from the inside out. I really think that this is what John is going through right now. Unfortunately, this constant pain and agony has made John feel very disconnected from our family. He feels so alone in the pain. His emotional skin is so fragile and easily hurt. God is ever so tenderly and gently loving him right now. I think that it can be easy for us as humans to decide what another person "should" be feeling or thinking, and how they "should" be finding comfort and strength in God. But we are all different. John's journey with God is different than mine. Not worse or better. Just different. God is always faithful, and because of this I know that he is carefully healing John's pain from the inside out. Very slowly and patiently. I desire to simply get out of the way and let it happen. And love them both.

I've given you just a glimpse of our lives over this past year. It is so much more complicated than this. But I hope that you have a small idea of what things have been like. Over the past couple of weeks, John and I have come closer together. We've been communicating better and turning towards each other instead of away. We are adjusting to a brand new relationship and the hope that things will not just go back to normal in our marriage, but actually be better.

When I began this entry yesterday, I really didn't know if I would ever post it. It felt good to write it all out and pin some of my thoughts down. When I finished today, John read it and we talked about it. We decided that it is good for you to hear how we have struggled. Maybe there are others who have experienced similar loss and are struggling in a similar way, and will know that they aren't alone. We don't really know. But we hope that God will use our lives, our pain, and even our struggle to help someone else. Or maybe it will help you to pray for us with some direction. I don't know. But we feel like we should put it out there... Thank you so much for loving us and praying us through this. Please don't stop. In many ways, as this first year is coming to a close, we are struggling and hurting even more than we did 10 or 11 months ago.

This has been one long year, and I can't believe it's over. So long, and yet so... not.

18 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Blogger Mrs said...

It can't possibly be a year.

Impossible.

Thank you for sharing this victory of turning towards each other instead of away. I praise God for His divine intervention! He would not have glory if satan can drive you apart.

Prayers for His healing work to continue. Your post encourages those who are struggling, even apart from grief.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Robyn said...

Wow. Thank you so much for sharing your heart, and thank you to John too! I'm sure that your honesty will help others in a similar situation.....I wish that nobody else to go through such pain, but since we live in this fallen world I'm very grateful that you're allowing God to transform your tragedy into something to benefit somebody. I'm praying for you guys. I hope that I never have to find out, but I'm not sure how I'd begin to cope....thank goodness you all have God to help you.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Bree at Clarity Defined said...

Thank you both for you candid honesty and beautiful witness to your lives. My prayers for you continue as we near that "one year" mark.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger sumi said...

Oh Sarah...before you even started talking about how this has impacted your marriage I wanted to quote this post and throw it out there for all my friends to read and tell them: "This girl has it pinned down for me" - I can relate to everything you are saying 100%

You sound so much like me, my grief is measured out and often 'controlled' too and yes, the special days are always bitter and sweet at the same time.

Thanks to you , and to John for sharing so openly. Everyone's experience is different and ours are not quite like yours. But I realised whilst reading this that it is wisdom to be aware of how hubby and I relate to each other as we navigate our new normal.

HUGS...I'm praying for you...

 
At 4:15 AM, Blogger Amy said...

What a wonderfully selfless thing to do, to be so very open with us. Thank-you, I will continue to pray.

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger Becky K. said...

This is excellent!

You should feel free to write a book at some point!

The way you have of putting things into words is a gift!

Others do not understand these things and their marriages are never repaired, as the Lord is helping you both to do...so this message is so important!

Bless you for being so open and honest!

I couldn't believe it had been a year, either as Mrs. said. Wow!
Please never be afraid that your readers will tire of anything Ellie. We fell head over heels in love with her!

Becky K.

 
At 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR INNER MOST THOUGHTS WITH US. ITS GREAT TO SEE YOU LETTING GOD WORK IN BOTH YOUR LIVES AND MARRIAGE. YOU WILL HAVE VICTORY OVER ALL WITH JESUS BY YOUR SIDE.WHAT A WONDERFUL TESTIMONY YOU ARE TO SO MANY. WE CONTINUE TO PRAY AND LIFT YOU UP EACH AND EVERY DAY. WE LOVE YOU.GOD BLESS LOVE SIMONS FAMILY

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Praise the Lord for holding you both so closely to His side, and bringing you through! I know it will be a journey still, but how wonderful to hear that you are turning to each other again, and are finding a newer and deeper relationship.

I know He will continue His work in you both as He does with us all.

 
At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, beautifully & painfully said... I pray your ability to share the "unedited" version of grief will help others who struggle with loss.

My husband, Richard, was able to communicate his pain and regrets when our son died; I was more like you, reserved. Even though I was reserved verbally, I was able to express my grief in journaling or creative outlets (kindred spirits, huh?)

One of the "marriage moments" I remember after Josh died was physical intimacy... "my son just died, and you want to have sex?!?" My whole being was devoid of feeling, how could I possibly be in the mood for THAT (or anything else for that matter!) I am so thankful I responded to my husband - he didn't want sex, he wanted me... he needed to know he hadn't lost me too.

I have no pearls of wisdom in dealing with grief, just the gritty sands of reality. Only God can make something beautiful out of our sorrow. Remember, the words you share are a pearl in the making :)

By grace alone,
Susan (White) Howe

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I just had to reply to your comment, Susan! Thank you so much. I appreciate everything you said!

I just had to tell you - if Ellie was a boy, we had planned on naming her Joshua David. I'm so sorry to hear that your Josh died! So... Josh and Ellie are in Heaven together. Some sweet comfort!

 
At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again I am moved by your honesty - by your transparency. You don't try to call everything good & put a bandaid on it - you are such a blessing to us Sarah, John & Ethan. May God bless you with His hope, comfort, & healing in this time. May His arms enfold you & hold you very, very tight! Lovingly, Tabitha

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Mandy Caley said...

so awesome that you are so open and able to help others too I am sure
I have not had much net time for a few weeks, love the house btw, and I ask that God bless you as THE date approaches
our date is Dec 22nd for little Leon our grandson who only lived for an hour.
we send love and we are thankful for you both/all three/four indeed

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger LindaSue said...

I'm ticking off in my mind the days until THE DAY - hard thing is - at my stage of life there have been so many losses. I have not handled things well spiritually or in a totally healthy way so I still have issues which limit my communication with others. Thank you for your transparency - bless John for being OK with you sharing this with us. Not much to say other than my tears and smiles are still with you - Bless y'all

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Kate said...

In a time when words do not suffice, you have found the courage and strength in God to speak the words, sister. Keep on going...one step at a time. A year...we remember Ellie with you and we miss her and we wait in hope for that great reunion!! God continue to heal your hearts and bind you closer to Himself and to each other. Lots of love!

 
At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always...I learn from your willingness to be REAL!! We are still thinking and praying for you! les

 
At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever commented, but I want to tell you that I think you are an amazing woman.

I know through your words that you and I are a lot alike in how we manage grief. That said, I think writing is incredibly cathartic. I won't try to pretend that the miscarriage I experienced two years ago is anywhere near what you have gone through, but putting it into words helped me heal. I hope you find some peace in it, as well.

It makes sense that a marriage would suffer a blow from such emotional trauma, but I can't help but think that in the long run, it will bring you both closer. My sociology degree enables me to say that people relate through common experience, and you two are the only people on earth who will have gone through everything from the same perspective -- as a parent.

Please take comfort that there are complete strangers praying and pulling for you and your family.

 
At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you so much for sharing as you did. I agree with others that someday you should write a book. You already have the material in print. I know you are an encouragement to others who are suffering too. Marian

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Ellie said...

Thank-you for sharing this post. The honesty of others can allow us to heal.

I remember sitting at the grave of a friend's son killed in a car accident. I sat there with his father as he talked about the grief of the last year and his visits to the grave just to talk.

Then he shared that he and his wife grieve differently and they've learned that is ok.

Sarah, I lost my first daughter eleven years ago shortly before she was born. For eleven years, I have grieved, and I felt alone. My husband did not grieve like me, and I felt alone. When Mike shared with me that day by his son's grave, some pain left. I realized that it is ok. It is normal for my husband to grieve differently. He is not like me. We are different.

There was comfort there, and healing. I trust that your story will also be that to others.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home